Windows Server 2012 R2 Issue with Windows Updates

Found a bug? Report here
Stateless
Level 3
Level 3

Windows Server 2012 R2 Issue with Windows Updates

Post by Stateless »

PrimoCache version: 2.4.0 (Server)
Cache Settings: 16GB L1 Cache, 1200s Deferred Write, Read/Write, Intelligent Mode
Windows OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): 2 x Xeon x5650, Dell S99Q, 48GB DDR3 ECC
Description: I have been trialing PrimoCache Server and have run into an issue. I think the issue is with the December 2016 Quality Rollup update, but it's definitely one of the December updates. After the update Hyper-V VMs are unable to mount. If I take a look in device manager the "Microsoft VHD Loopback Controller" cannot run. I have tried every which way to reinstall the driver, but nothing works short of disabling driver signature enforcement. It seems that Windows can no longer verify the driver signature. I spent even more time troubleshooting this issue as a simple Windows update issue, but it seems no one else is having the problem so I looked at the issue as a problem with something unique to my system configuration and determined the issue was with PrimoCache.

I disabled the cache and reinstalled the updates and the issue went away (reinstalling the updates without disabling the cache resulted in the same issue). I then recreated the issue and resolution on two other servers with the same results. The other two server have completely different hardware but the issue happened after the updates, and went away after disabling the cache and reinstalling the updates).

I have purchased PrimoCache Desktop on my Windows 10 machine and this issue reminds me of the recently resolved bug with PrimoCache in Windows 10 that i think was with EFS. I am not sure if they are related.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Issue with Windows Updates

Post by Support »

Thank you for the bug report! We'll check it.