Freezes with Windows 10 Redstone and Primocache 2.4 and 2.5 Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Freezes with Windows 10 Redstone and Primocache 2.4 and 2.5

Post by Support »

:o Great work! I'm also waiting for the further testing results!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

MS likes to change policies at whim. I'm not at all surprised something like this could have happened with the update (any MS update really). We've seen drives removed from cache tasks when Windows 10 updates itself, which could be distantly related (a device reset or re-enumeration). Good to hear you may have found root cause.

I remember a long time ago trying to hunt down the source of problems on my primary workstation with Primo, and it ended up being an Intel chipset software problem. Support was great for that too. More often than not Primo itself isn't the cause.

Back in the day automatic Windows updates changed a video driver on a client my company serviced. All of their ~40 or so workstations had the video drop out right after boot, making their computers totally unusable. MS still doesn't quite have their quality ironed out for pushing out updates, and may never. :)
Babel17
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Babel17 »

unic0der wrote:Update:

I have continued my own trouble-shooting over the last days and think I might have found a solution to my problem with system hangs (with 100% disk utilization):

1) According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595 "Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled" the trick is to disable MSI for the SATA Controller.

2) I have switched the Energy Settings of the PC from Policy "Optimized" to "High Performance".

So far, things are running stable with MSI disabled and the changed Energy policy - no more hangs in the last couple of hours (which has almost been impossible before).

Will report back in a few days, if we can consider this case solved. As for now it looks like Primocache isn't at fault at all. The only strange question open is: Why on earth did this problem only start to appear after the Redstone update. :D
Thanks! While I can't swear to it in court it appears that after following your two suggestions, and several hours of using Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, the temporary lock ups I was getting have ceased. I was lurking in these forums for days, hoping to hear of an update. I exported the registry setting so as to have a backup, then changed it as specified. I also changed my Power setting to High performance. So far so good. Windows is even faster to respond after rebooting/booting. I have a nice Mushkin Striker SSD so I was concerned over the last few weeks as to what was the deal with my slower times to getting a responsive desktop.