PrimoCache -- Pinning folders/apps to the cache Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
guidelajungle
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache -- Pinning folders/apps to the cache

Post by guidelajungle »

Hi there, I'm new here and I very much enjoy primoCache atm.

I would like a function to pin folder/apps like with the intel Optane software, or maybe just prefetch a folder/app.

As of now, I came to understand that this might not be possible, but I'm not sure and I don't know why.

Thanks in advance for any answer.
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Re: PrimoCache -- Pinning folders/apps to the cache

Post by janusz521 »

PrimoCache is working with disk blocks. It has no idea to which file one belongs. So a disk partition is the smallest unit of which you may control caching.
guidelajungle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guidelajungle »

Thank you for the explanation. Then, do you think a simple "scan" of a file/folder would trigger PrimoCache to automagically cache the content of it? It wouldn't be "pinned" per se, but more like "preemptively cached".
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

Possibly, reading a file loads its associated disk blocks to the cache. You may also try to combine cache prefetch with "Lock Cache Content" when you are happy with the loaded content.
guidelajungle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guidelajungle »

Alright, thank you again. I did the CRC-32 scan from 7zip on some game folders, and the corresponding amount of GB was removed from the "Free Cache (L2)". So now, when I start the game, nearly all the "read activity" is seen on the caching Drive and none on the cached drive!

For the Locking of the cache content, I think this is for the L1 cache, and I am focused on the L2 cache functionality. Nothing against the L1, but I bought this product specifically for the L2 caching functionality.