Try to use free RAM whenever it's available dynamically

Suggestions around PrimoCache
VarunAgw
Level 2
Level 2

Try to use free RAM whenever it's available dynamically

Post by VarunAgw »

Right now, I have 15 GB of free RAM available. It would be great if PrimoCache consumes most of it automatically. Suppose later I run several applications and have limited RAM available, it should automatically release some of the RAM from the cache to make it available for other programs.

Maybe a setting called "Minimum free RAM available". This way I can specify the minimum RAM that must be available all the time. If the value reaches below it because I ran some program, PrimoCache should release some of the RAM.
Last edited by VarunAgw on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Try to use free RAM whenever it's available dynamically

Post by Jaga »

That's a bit of a dangerous proposition for Windows. Take my current rig for example: it has 64GB of RAM, and I use up about 48 of that for the OS and Primocache + Primo RAM Disk. When I run a few browser tabs (Chrome) and then a very memory-hungry app that reduces available memory so it is under ~8-10 GB, Chrome has the very real possibility of not liking it, and hard crashing. I've seen it twice in the last 6 months, and because of that had to adjust Primocache/Primo RAM Disk usage downwards.

If you push the memory in use too far, it often results in really unexpected and poor results from Windows.
VarunAgw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by VarunAgw »

I started with 256 MB of RAM in my first PC and currently have 32 GB of RAM. I have never seen Chrome crash because there is only 8 GB RAM left. 8 GB is still a ridiculously high RAM and a lot of Windows 10 laptops come with only 8 GB of RAM.

But I agree it's a slightly dangerous operation. But I still feel, if used wisely (leaving 2 GB+ free), at least 95% of the users are never going to face any issue or poor results from Windows. 2 GB free RAM is more than enough for most use cases.

I am okay with a big warning box before it's a checkbox or requiring cmd command to enable it (like PrimoCache does for other much scarier features).

One more thing. Hypervisors also use something similar (Memory ballooning). So it's not something unheard of.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We do consider the feature of dynamic RAM cache. However, I'm sorry that this task is not given a high priority.
VarunAgw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by VarunAgw »

Ok cool. I see this feature has been requested before too (https://forum.romexsoftware.com/en-us/v ... =35&t=4893). So I will hope it gets a priority someday :)