[Please Add] File Prefetch

Suggestions around PrimoCache
EthicalDeviant
Level 1
Level 1

[Please Add] File Prefetch

Post by EthicalDeviant »

I'd really like to have an option to have PrimoCache prefetch an entire file to L2 cache as soon as it is accessed. I'd like this for my media files, which are often 8-12GB in length. (Maybe be able to set a file size limit for this to happen- i.e. > 1GB) I'd then like the prefetched data to be flushed after a user selectable period of time. As it is, I get no benefit from using PrimoCache on my media server as any number of media files may be accessed at once, multiple times a day totaling hundreds of GB easily. This would prevent a lot of hard drive wear from having to access multiple simultaneous files over hours of use.

This would make PrimoCache a MUST-HAVE for many people running media servers looking to extend the lives of their expensive enterprise drives.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [Please Add] File Prefetch

Post by Jaga »

We've asked for that exact feature in the past, and I believe Romex acknowledged it (though I'm unsure of the status on implementing it). Basically a right-click on file or folder with the context menu item allowing us to force it into the cache (and dump a corresponding amount of data that is the oldest/least accessed).

Hopefully they haven't forgotten about it :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [Please Add] File Prefetch

Post by Support »

Yes, this feature is on the task list. Thank you all.