Virtual disk as L2Storage

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Level 5

Re: Virtual disk as L2Storage

Post by points »

To come back to this:

I am using a virtual disk as L2 storage now for several weeks and it is working without any problem despite the fact that it gets wiped on every boot. I think Romex should find a way to support this setup natively so that the virtual disk cache gets automounted by Primocache and that it wont't get wiped.

Currently mounting has to be done manually or by additional software like: https://www.medo64.com/vhdattach/ which I am using and which is working quite well. So it could be done and it would be working.

There is one thing that should be considered if Romex is going to implement support for this: As the virtual disk cache is just a file on the disk, if caching is enabled for that disk (to cache all the other files on that disk) it seems that the virtual disk cache gets also cached again. Which obviously does not make sense.
For example: The L2 virtual disk cache in my case is on a fast SSD. But all the other contents on that disk are assigned to a cache task for L1 RAM caching only. So from cache statistics it seems that the the L2 storage gets re-cached on the L1. So any implementation should try to avoid re-caching of existing caches.