[Tool] Automatic pause and resume for backup-software

Suggestions around PrimoCache
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

[Tool] Automatic pause and resume for backup-software

Post by tyraelmetanamede »

Hi There,

i just released a program to automatically pause and resume the cache while running a backup-process:

https://github.com/kadrim/PrimoCacheBackupDetect

Please feel free to use it and to give me improvement suggestions.

It would be great if Romex would adjust PrimoCache so that the GUI and CLI can run both simultaneously as this seems like a big drawback.

Best regards
Kadrim
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Tool] Automatic pause and resume for backup-software

Another great addition would be of Romex implemented the following:

option to pause *adjustment* of the Cache via CLI so that no new entries would be wirtten to the cache but the current cache could still be read from. That way i could run a backup and not taint the cache but also still benefit from my currently cached files.

What do you think?
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

Is't possible to get links to packages (.zip) for x86/x64 PrimoCacheBackupDetect.exe, .ini and Readme.txt files?
In other words some ready to use solutions...

Thanks
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

Just go to the Tab "releases":

https://github.com/kadrim/PrimoCacheBac ... t/releases

There is always the latest compiled .exe

Best regards,
Kadrim
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@tyraelmetanamede, thank you very much for your great work!
tyraelmetanamede wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:05 am It would be great if Romex would adjust PrimoCache so that the GUI and CLI can run both simultaneously as this seems like a big drawback.
We will improve this, but I'm afraid that the fix will not come out soon as we still have other high-priority tasks.
tyraelmetanamede wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm option to pause *adjustment* of the Cache via CLI so that no new entries would be wirtten to the cache but the current cache could still be read from. That way i could run a backup and not taint the cache but also still benefit from my currently cached files.
Yes, this is on our todo list.
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

@support: thanks for the update on this matter! :-)
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

Just go to the Tab "releases":

Done. Thanks. :oops:
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

I've 2 PCs.
PC1 - OS is Windows XP Home SP3 x86, PrimoCache 3.0.9 registred. Backup tool is Norton Gost 10.0.
PC2 - OS is Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, PrimoCache 3.0.9 registred. Backup tool is EaseUS Todo Backup Home 11.5.

Norton Gost 10.0 backup process is: vprosvc.exe.
EaseUS Todo Backup Home 11.5 backup process is: TbService.exe.

For both above mentioned PCs, PrimoCacheBackupDetect does the job.
With the .ini files correctly tuned, the backup processes are detected, PrimoCache paused and resumed when the backup tasks ended.

But, under XP, PrimoCacheBackupDetect needs a huge amount of memory. Can you have a look on this?

Thanks.
Attachments
Task Manager screen capture.<br />PrimoCacheBackupDetect runs since a few hours.
Task Manager screen capture.
PrimoCacheBackupDetect runs since a few hours.
PrimoCacheBackupDetect Memory Usage 02 OS Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.jpg (175.71 KiB) Viewed 14045 times
Task Manager screen capture.<br />PrimoCacheBackupDetect runs since a few hours.
Task Manager screen capture.
PrimoCacheBackupDetect runs since a few hours.
PrimoCacheBackupDetect Memory Usage 01 OS Windows XP Home SP3 x86.jpg (130.73 KiB) Viewed 14045 times
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your feedback!

I never thought about Windows XP so this is completely untested, i will setup a virtual machine tonight to see if i can reproduce this bug (looks like a memory leak).

I cannot make any promises yet, but hopefully this is no big deal.

Best regards
Kadrim
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

Hi idefix44,

i tested this on windows xp sp3 and there really is a memory leak which is also documented for the function i use (_ProcessListProperties()):

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topi ... ent-586534

The Problem is, that Microsoft would have to fix the underlying method-call but has not (and never will!). This bug is not present on windows 7 and later and since Windows XP is out of support since 2014 Microsoft will not provide a patch.

So it seems you are out of luck ... you could increase the interval time to reduce the number of calls to that function.

Maybe there is an alternative way of getting the memory-footprint of an arbitrary process on windows-xp. Updating your OS might be easier but i think you are using the old XP for a good reason and cannot update it to a supported windows version.

Edit: fixed that, see the next post ;-)

Best regards
David
Last edited by tyraelmetanamede on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.