PrimoCache & Nvme in 2018, enough to compete with optane 905P?

Suggestions around PrimoCache
GammaTron
Level 2
Level 2

Re: PrimoCache & Nvme in 2018, enough to compete with optane 905P?

Post by GammaTron »

Jaga wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 pm Keep format clusters and Primocache L1 block size at 4k for maximum IOPS performance. Deferred writes (with a UPS on the machine) can still help, though it's less of a concern with a NVME. I usually recommend no less than a 10% RAM-to-Data sizing, so if you have 100GB of data to cache on your NVME, use a 10GB L1 or larger. Also set the L1 to prefetch the last cache on boot so it carries data across shutdowns and achieves higher hitrates. Use a Read & Write caching strategy, even if not using deferred writes.
Well this definitively gave a performance boost to a few of my games, as well as chrome and a few applications in general interestingly. Sequential reads are around 9000mb/s and writes are around 14000mb/s. Random q1t1 read and write are both around 400mb/s, but it seems like it all in general works faster. What sort of write mode and latency would you recommend to minimize disk wear?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PrimoCache & Nvme in 2018, enough to compete with optane 905P?

Post by Jaga »

That depends on your usage, though it sounds like you do a lot of similar things on your gaming workstation. For deferred writes, I use Intelligent mode, with a latency of no less than 60 seconds (it helps with temp tasks and letting Primocache count many of them as Trimmed Blocks so you don't get unnecessary writes). I do have a UPS on this machine however, and have had it as high as 300s since it's a rock solid build.