Some general suggestions

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Level 5

Some general suggestions

Post by points »

What I would like to see in the future:

1. Caching for encrypted drive on block level, meaning that encrypted data is cached, not plain data.
2. Influence on caching algorithm. Something like aggressive vs. cautios or something. Meaning to force Primocache to cache more or less.
3. Use encryption on L2 (persistent) cache, meaning that all data stored on L2 (persistent) cache (e.g. prefetch data) get encrypted as these data can potentially contain sensitive information.
4. I don't know if something like this already exist: Option to exlude certain files from being cached in L2 (persistent) cache and/or being wiped scurely. Because those like pagefile, hibernation files etc. could contain potentially sensitive information and should not be written to L2 persistent cache.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Some general suggestions

Post by Support »

Thank you for the suggestions!
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

points wrote:4. I don't know if something like this already exist: Option to exlude certain files from being cached in L2 (persistent) cache and/or being wiped scurely. Because those like pagefile, hibernation files etc. could contain potentially sensitive information and should not be written to L2 persistent cache.
You can handle this situation by locating such files (assuming they contain temporary data that you don't want to keep) on a ramdisk (using a hard link or NTFS junction to link them to their previous location). If you have data you do want to keep, then a ramdisk with an encrypted image file (e.g. Primo Ramdisk with its image file held on a Truecrypt container or partition) may be worth investigating.

The downside with encryption is its impact on performance and throughput. I don't see how Romex can support encryption without adversely affecting PrimoCache's performance - and most people who consider encryption important would prefer open source cryptography which can be more easily checked for implementation flaws.
Level 5

Post by points »

I agree there might be ways by manual fiddling.
However mostly there are 3 things that I believe should really work out of the box:

1. Use encrypted disk (Truecrypt, Bitlocker, whatever) as L2 cache, meaning that any data written to that drive is encrypted.
2. Caching of encrypted disk, currently even when mounted they do not show to set up a cache.
3. Caching should be done on block/sector level for encrypted disks, so that raw encrypted data is cached instead of unencrypted data