TMPFS on Windows

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Hale
Level 2
Level 2

TMPFS on Windows

Post by Hale »

It appears, PrimoCache and RamDisk (with dynamic allocation feature) are both ideologically related to TMPFS.
But neither fulfill all its basic capabilities.

Is it possible to see in the nearest future a Cache OR symbolic-linked Ramdisk, with dynamic memory allocation and "aged" file dumping to underlying file system (NTFS)?

I.e. in order to bufferize all the temp, perfmon and other temporary directories, and maybe other non-critical NTFS system objects. Not as a fixed cache, but with a TMPFS-like buffer which can deallocate memory and dump files down when necessary.

This would both improve SSD life and HDD performance, but in a safe way, so power-down would damage ONLY unimportant temporary files. And the dynamic memory (de)allocation feature of RAMDISK would save a lot of nerves.

Personally, I use RamDisk for 5 years maybe, but sometimes my wife calls my office asking, why did SKYPE/Firefox stopped working with "not enough memory" error?
Really, TMPFS is the great thing windows lacks.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: TMPFS on Windows

Post by InquiringMind »

Hale wrote:Is it possible to see in the nearest future a Cache OR symbolic-linked Ramdisk, with dynamic memory allocation and "aged" file dumping to underlying file system (NTFS)?
Primo Ramdisk currently gets pretty close with Dynamic Memory Management and the Timing Save option for image files.

Having a "delayed smart save" for image files (backing up only changes made more than "x" minutes ago) would close the gap. Allowing hybrid ramdisk files to use an image file would be a help also (since using a hybrid would avoid most "disk full" issues).