VHD on SSD as L2

Suggestions around PrimoCache
horizon
Level 5
Level 5

VHD on SSD as L2

Post by horizon »

Consider following scenario:
Disk1: 1 part (C: 128 GB SSD disk with system)
Disk2: 1 part (D: 500 GB rotating disk with data)

In order to accelerate the Disk by L2 cache I'd need to get an extra disk or resize partition on C: (which is a bit hassle)

However I could create a dedicated VHD (or another filetype) on C: and use THAT one as L2.

There might be some performance penalty (for mounting file on existing filesystem, instead of mounting a partition on the disk), however I believe that overall performance effect is still position.

Currently, it is already doable manually by creating and mounting VHD via disk manager.
The thing is that such VHD gets unmounted on every reebot.
I think if would be great to have such capability directly in primocache. (i.e. mount file as L2)

What do you think?

And one more thing... There is an extra piece of flexibility. For example: You can easily get rid of such VHD if you don't want to use it anymore. (With partition or disk, it might be a bit more difficult.) There might be also a possibility to let PC to manage the cache size... Exactly as you can do in case of Windows pagefile.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: VHD on SSD as L2

Post by Support »

Actually in FancyCache which is the former edition of PrimoCache we use files to store level2 cache contents. However, considering the better performance, we start to use dedicated partitions to store level-2 cache contents in PrimoCache. Perhaps in future we may support both methods.
Thanks.