Requests, read ahead & consistent pre-load file

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Wagz
Level 2
Level 2

Requests, read ahead & consistent pre-load file

Post by Wagz »

I am a longtime primo cache server edition user that was using EMC software previously. still love love this software. Absolutely awesome and you guys have been doing a good job.

A couple of things I would love.

Primarily I would like the ability to save a consistent copy of the contents of cache and be able to load it after a crash or bad shutdown. after I have a power outage or other crash, I have to warm up the cache again from scratch. I'd like an option for primo cache to save a consistent copy of cache that I can go back to after a bad shutdown or crash. This would pretty much make this software perfect if I didn't have to keep rewarming up the cache from scratch after a crash. so periodic state save or somesuch option.

SEcond and lesser request. an option for read ahead cache. large files, video files, game files, all tend to do a big sequential read anyway. it would be nice if I could have primocache read and load more data than necessary. I have about 100GB of cache setup, but I only ever cache about 16gb. it would be nice if I could have an aggressive read ahead to ensure smooth streaming of video file and the sequential loading that games tend to employ. I have a lot of ssd cache sitting around doing nothing, so even if I cache useless data on the chance I'll need it, I don't mind.

Thanks,
~Bryan
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Requests, read ahead & consistent pre-load file

Post by idefix44 »

Already now PrimoCache loads a lot of your unused datas. But you don't notice it because you don't use the unused datas... :lol:
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Regarding the consistent pre-load file, does the "Prefetch" feature and its "Lock Cache Content" option meet your requirement? If you're talking about level-2 cache, well, we're developing a mechanism to rebuild L2 cache content after crash. But I'm sorry that I'm not sure when this feature will be added.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Wagz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wagz »

If I used the lock cache content feature, I'd be losing some of the dynamic nature of the Cache as workloads change or new apps come onboard. I'm mainly wanting a way to not have to lose all data after a crash. I'm actually SAN booting from a slow iSCSI device, so when I have a power outage or something, it can be pretty painfully slow until the cache warms up again :)

Although this thread suggestion about being able to preload certain directories would work for me as well

https://www.romexsoftware.com/bbs2/en-u ... =35&t=2915

Thanks,
~Bryan
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

When you enable "Prefetch", PrimoCache still can prefetch last cache content for the L1 cache even you encountered a crash before. So it shall be no problem for L1 cache. However, for L2 cache, so far PrimoCache does not support cache rebuilding after a crash. We may add this function in future.