Free RAM as cache

Suggestions around PrimoCache
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Free RAM as cache

Post by rutra80 »

Would it be possible to use free RAM as cache instead of a fixed amount of RAM that is taken away from the OS? That's how Windows buffering works.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Free RAM as cache

Post by Support »

So far this feature is not available. But thank you for the suggestion, we're also thinking about this function.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

Also, it would be great if size of SSD cache didn't use up so much RAM. Intel SRT has an addressing scheme which avoids that problem I think, VeloSSD too. Would there be any drawbacks?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

rutra80 wrote:Also, it would be great if size of SSD cache didn't use up so much RAM.
Do you mean the overhead memory for SSD cache, or the overhead storage? I think you may use a bigger cache block size to reduce the overhead.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

support wrote:
rutra80 wrote:Also, it would be great if size of SSD cache didn't use up so much RAM.
Do you mean the overhead memory for SSD cache, or the overhead storage? I think you may use a bigger cache block size to reduce the overhead.
I meant overhead memory for SSD cache. I know that increasing block size reduces the overhead, but there seem to be ways to eliminate the overhead almost completely (as in mentioned software).