Manual cache and exclusions

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Marble68
Level 1
Level 1

Manual cache and exclusions

Post by Marble68 »

Just bought my copy after a 3 week trial. This might already be a feature but could not figure out how to do it.

However, it would be extremely helpful to have a command line utility to tell primocache what folders or files to always or never cache. Another option might be for primocache to read to INI files, one for "cache" and one for "exclude" that we users could create and save in the primocache folder.

For comparison, expressCache has the command "eccmd -preload ." and (I think) "eccmd -exclude ."

If you issue that command, the caching software will weight that folder and all it's subfolders and files as important cache. (it's detailed somewhat here: http://driveragent.com/c/archive/4d3e80 ... e/11-3-18/ )

This is *extremely* helpful for tuning performance. On my wife's PC with Expresscache, I installed a 128GB msata cache then preloaded her c:\program files, c:\program files (x86), c:\windows, and c:\program data.

All of that combined totaled about 50GB, and the result is blissfully fast blistering performance...

If we could get this for primocache, plus the ability to *filter* files by type (mp3, mkv, iso, etc.) it'd make this product much, much better.

I bought this product to leverage my aging laptop and my old 128GB SSD. It would be great to be able to tune the cache a little bit.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Manual cache and exclusions

Post by Support »

Thank you for the suggestions! We'll consider this feature.
ciakko
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Manual cache and exclusions

Post by ciakko »

That would be great. I have used and tested "fancy cache" and after "primo cache" and find it a very good product but in the end I chose to use the Marvell drivers that allow me to decide what and what does not accelerate. I also have the ability to migrate a program on the SSD. Marvell, however, does not satisfy me in the time of loading the operating system. If this option were to be implemented in the first cache I would not hesitate to buy it and recommend it.