Auto-Pause on Security-Scan (exe-exclusion)

Suggestions around PrimoCache
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Auto-Pause on Security-Scan (exe-exclusion)

Post by CrypEd »

I notice that running a virus/malware/spyware/rootkit-scanner causes the cache to fill up and go "missing"... thats normal, because you read ALL your disks-data once not in intention to read it again.

The idea is now to add an exclusion-application list for Primo, so we can tell our cache to pause when a certain process started and continue if it stops.

If you bother this require checking the processes list in intervals and thus consuming CPU... that won't be significant, even on short refresh-intervall... but imagine when: when i start my "Scanner"...normally I as a human need few to several seconds to start the initial "Scan Task" of that programm. Now even when PrimoCaches new auto-pause misses that moment and pauses little later on it is still good forthe cache not getting "spammed"

Well you should not add processes that possibly always run of cause like the main anti-virus but examples one could add are:

TDSSKiller.exe - ("Scan Known Rootkits" and "Basic Heuristic Detection")
SDScan.exe - ("Scan Mal-/Spy-/Ad-ware including browser cookie/system-traces")

If the Anti-Virus has an agent-process and uses different process for "onthefly-scans" than for "regular scans"...or if you always start and close your anti-virus you also could add that one.

The deal is, if he have a certain application (not only AntiVirus...simply hatever) that we do not like to have PrimoCache running, now we are no more forced to manually pause and start the cache.

What do you think?

BTW: Software is able to do awesome jobs... just by some automation "algorythms". I know "Process Lasso".... in short words in is a windows governor (automation system)...whatever is related to a process in windows can be automatically controlled and also be linked into other windows-envorinment settings.

Example: I set up that whenever a Process out of C:\Spiele\*.* is opened to change the power Profile to High performance.

With "Process Lasso" and PrimoCache-CLI im already able to do what i want... simply automatically rule to send the pause and start cache command when certain app is loaded, but i think it would be more cooler im Primo can do it on itself :D

Edit: Oh no to far headed...it does not work with Process Lasso... it can rule everything, but not to spawn a process on another process... so i need a BATCH to replace my program-shortcut 1. pause cache 2. run scanner 3. resume cache. lol damn
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Auto-Pause on Security-Scan (exe-exclusion)

Post by CrypEd »

Well it actually works with batches:

Placed an invisible.vbs on C:\:
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "" & WScript.Arguments(0) & "", 0, False
Created this BATCH named "Scan-Rootkits.bat" on C:\:
"C:\Program Files\PrimoCache (Beta)\rxpcc.exe" pause -c 1 -s
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\tdsskiller.exe"
"C:\Program Files\PrimoCache (Beta)\rxpcc.exe" resume -c 1 -s
Then I edited the shortcut named "TDSSKiller":
C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs Scan-Rootkits.bat

And for Spybot S&D i created Scan-Spyware.bat:
"C:\Program Files\PrimoCache (Beta)\rxpcc.exe" pause -c 1 -s
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDScan.exe"
"C:\Program Files\PrimoCache (Beta)\rxpcc.exe" resume -c 1 -s
Then I edited the shortcut named "Spybot S&D-Scan":
C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs Scan-Spyware.bat

Works charmless, pauses cache on start-automatically, resumes it on close. :D Yay.

I bet with PrimoCache could easily be enhanced to allow such internally. Please, because this approach is far away from perfect... when i start both and then close one, cache goes resume , what it shouldn't.