Bring back averaged write option Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
TofuJoe
Level 1
Level 1

Bring back averaged write option

Post by TofuJoe »

Hello,
PrimoCache has been excellent, and thank you for the great work.

Would it be possible to add (add back?) an averaged write option? It is my understanding this would have PrimoCache commit to disk in an opportunistic/throttled algorithm while giving priority to read requests and still defering write requests up until either the write cache is full. Once the write cache is full, additional writes are handled in a FIFO cache priority commit.

Currently the behaviour I'm seeing in my workflow I'm hitting an IO bottleneck at regular intervals per the defered latency period which I assume is the write cache commit flushing. For example, setup a r/w cache of 8GB with defer latency of 60 seconds. I burst 3x 1GB writes then read continuously at 60-80% disk load for 60+ seconds. At the defer latency time I witness a full cache write commit and reads stall until the cache commit completes.

An opportunistic cache commit algorithm should queue the writes over the available 20-40% remaining disk load to avoid interval based write cache flush stalls.

For the above example, I'm working on a video editing workstation.

TJ
Nina
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Bring back averaged write option

Post by Nina »

+1
Engineer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Engineer »

+1
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We may improve the write algorithm which allows write back on disk idle.
Chozo4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Chozo4 »

This option would be greatly loved as even in gaming and other intensive things dumping everything at once can cause a rather large stall on disks without the fastest write speeds. EVen incrimental small writes during activity would be an idea even with the incremental chunk sizes committed to be configurable.The only other option one can figure in the meantime would be to have it commit either never or after a long period while having the cache then commit while the PC is idle through the scheduler via commandline.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

support wrote:We may improve the write algorithm which allows write back on disk idle.
An excellent idea, especially if it took account of disk speed (e.g. using a longer time interval for slower disks).
Chozo4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Chozo4 »

Thought I would bring up that the aforementioned alternative has been working quite well thus far. I couldn't find the small application called 'whileidle' that was made years ago by someone on the bitcoin miners forum as the 'resource' is gone from dropbox and would have worked best as a background service. The best I could find was IdleStart which is larger with a GUI and will not run under the system account. However, setting it to run 'start /low C:\progra~1\primoc~1\rxpcc.exe dwflush -sc 1' after 3600 seconds (1 hour) of user idle time does the job swimmingly.

I did try scheduling it using task scheduler and have it re-register the task everytime but the task scheduler only considers 0% cpu/0% disk IO and no user activity as idle which conflicts with the machine also folding on each core. So as a result it would never run at all using that method.
PtDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PtDragon »

+1
Hope you will improve soon ^_^
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stenrulz »

Any update regarding the progress of this feature? This is one of the 2 features stopping me using this on my systems. Bit disappointed on the response (March to October, no update or progress)
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

+1
I have avoided using L2 given the varied issues reported via these forums. Unfortunately, that eliminates a few licenses where L1 alone does not warrant a purchase. Overall I am very pleased with PrimoCache (in selected configs) but see opportunities for improvement.