Enterprise-level PrimoCache and the future

Suggestions around PrimoCache
generalmx
Level 2
Level 2

Enterprise-level PrimoCache and the future

Post by generalmx »

Hybrid Storage is something that's currently only offered on Windows in combination with certain SSDs and with high-cost enterprise-level software. I think it'd be in PrimoCache's best interest to keep at least an unsupported version of what they have now free/nearly-free to home, non-commercial users (with some reactivation cycle, so it just can't be install-and-forget on a machine), because I'm sure you'll get far more money from making a scalable Enterprise-level solution with a per-machine/user license. Here are some things I'd like to see from a "PrimoCache Enterprise" in the future:

- L1 (RAM) and L2 (SSD) separated in options, with separate algorithms/templates, but keeping the option to consolidate their overhead.
- User choice in algorithms/templates with IOPS optimizations specific to 512K, 4K, Large Queue Depth, and Latency (and combinations of these). I would expect these to only be available/supported in the Enterprise editions.
- Maximum and minimum file size tuning for what to cache. Again, I would suspect this to be Enterprise-level.
- NTFS support with folder, attribute, and ACL whitelisting and blacklisting to allow not caching critical things, at least for deferred write (currently a feature totally unsupported by Windows's own write caching). Enterprise-level.
- Windows RAID Volumes and Storage Pools supported (right now PrimoCache treats these as separate disks). I think this would be all versions.

Remember, each user's needs may be different, and PrimoCache could solve problems with simply a different algorithm/template that would otherwise require rebuilding a server's hardware and cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. I've been experimenting PrimoCache to solve problems especially with small business servers that I'd otherwise try solving with switching to Linux w/ bcache, or switching to ZFS / virtualized ZFS (of course, I don't use PrimoCache in production, yet!).

Another reason to give out a PrimoCache Free version, would be to require users to allow automatically submitting reports on how well their cache is performing and require them to upgrade to newer builds after some amount of time (perhaps only keep Beta free, and expire old Betas after some time), thus making these Free users into guinea pigs that you can mine for precious data onto how to improve the algorithms and fix problems before they're found or implemented in your paid Enterprise-level products (as well as more feedback). I don't think providing PrimoCache in this way would hurt the brand at all, even if there's a really buggy Beta build (as long as you acknowledge this and let people download older versions). A lot of different smaller companies that offer unique Enterprise-level software have significant success with this method of a bit more limited, nagging version that is otherwise free to home users that is there to collect lots and lots of feedback and test new features, improvements, and fixes.
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Enterprise-level PrimoCache and the future

Post by stenrulz »

I think Romex will most likely have an enterprise/server edition much like they do with Primo Ramdisk. I do not see them doing any free version after the beta as it would not be in there best interest. They might be nice enough to offer any Beta testers that found a valid bug a free copy for their help.
generalmx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by generalmx »

My point is that the money they can get from a very well-tested, finely-tuned business solution would dwarf what they'd get from various consumers actually tecchy enough to understand how to manage PrimoCache and then also want to pay for PrimoCache. Hence why I thought a slightly crippled, time-limited version that is made to collect cache performance information and both non-fatal and fatal errors, would work out as an investment in their favour.

As far as RamDisk goes, while it's a great product, there are tons of alternatives out there; yet the market for PrimoCache is critically vacant, and others are taking serious advantage of it.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

generalmx wrote:...I think it'd be in PrimoCache's best interest to keep at least an unsupported version of what they have now free/nearly-free to home, non-commercial users (with some reactivation cycle, so it just can't be install-and-forget on a machine)...
While I agree that a limited free version (perhaps only able to cache a single volume?) could be a good marketing tool, I would disagree with reactivation or anything that involves extra hassle for users. Indeed, the current activation requirement for Primo Ramdisk poses a problem for forward-thinking users since it almost guarantees that the product will become unusable when Romex closes, as discussed in the Registration key query thread.
generalmx wrote: - NTFS support with folder, attribute, and ACL whitelisting and blacklisting to allow not caching critical things, at least for deferred write (currently a feature totally unsupported by Windows's own write caching). Enterprise-level.
With PrimoCache operating at block level, any file level features would be a challenge to implement.
generalmx wrote:...Remember, each user's needs may be different...to require users to allow automatically submitting reports on how well their cache is performing and require them to upgrade to newer builds after some amount of time (perhaps only keep Beta free, and expire old Betas after some time), thus making these Free users into guinea pigs that you can mine for precious data...
This would raise a number of problems:
  • Users, at least the more technical ones likely to use PrimoCache, are unlikely to be happy with any requirement to submit reports which could include private data;
  • The data collected would probably not be relevant for enterprise level usage;
  • Beta testing is best left to those prepared to problem-solve themselves and able to offer detailed information when that fails. Forcing it on users generally would likely generate lots of poor-quality bug reports which may hamper future development.
I agree there is a market for the likes of PrimoCache at enterprise level (speeding up VM loading, database access, etc) but the best way to "monetise" that would be with different versions of PrimoCache limited by memory usage, rather like Primo Ramdisk is currently.

And provide an activation-free option (e.g. a simple serial number) for enterprise/business users (ideally include personal customers too, please) to avoid the future possibility of disabled software with coincident losses.