Close to Tray, Minimize to Tray

Suggestions around PrimoCache
stoneym
Level 1
Level 1

Close to Tray, Minimize to Tray

Post by stoneym »

It isn't completely clear based on cues from the UI whether PrimoCache is still active if I click the "X" to close the GUI.

Add a tray icon for the app. Have "X" just hide the GUI and make it accessible from the try. Have an option in the settings for the minimize button to either minimize to taskbar or tray. Add an explicit "Exit" command to the GUI that will actually stop all application processes.
kio80
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Close to Tray, Minimize to Tray

Post by kio80 »

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/faq.html

The first FAQ answer says the caching is always running unless explicitly stopped from the gui. The program seems to be designed as "fire and forget." Meaning little to no maintenance after initial set up. So there's really no need to have any sort of persistent tray icon cluttering the screen.

I think the developers time would be better spent on other endeavors. Optimizing performance, creating new cache management algorithms, etc.
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Stubi »

I put it on the left side in the Quick Launch Bar and can start it - not correct since it runs in the background anyway - call the GUI up from the icon there. Instead of the tray icons those icons never disappear.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

kio80 wrote:...So there's really no need to have any sort of persistent tray icon cluttering the screen.

I think the developers time would be better spent on other endeavors...
I'd agree - tray icons make more sense for programs which need periodic configuration or provide regular (and simple) status updates. There might be a use for an (optional) tray icon with a popup graph showing past caching performance, but I'd rather that be left till other features are done (not least, providing a long-term performance graph in the first place, rather than the 10-second snapshot currently offered).