pre cache frequently used files

Suggestions around PrimoCache
keith
Level 1
Level 1

pre cache frequently used files

Post by keith »

I use a set of things frequently, it'd be great for most used files to be loading up in the background after rebooting to avoid the initial load chugging. The large enough(which is the case for me) footprint of the frequently used files and apps contrasted with usage pattern makes it worthwhile. During little to no io, do pre caching with light enough access to avoid system interrupting disk chugging.
EricL
Level 3
Level 3

Re: pre cache frequently used files

Post by EricL »

That's something Superfetch does, which is built into Windows. If you want to augment that, you could assign a fast USB drive as ReadyBoost.

PrimoCache is a block-level cache, which means it only concerns itself with blocks on the disk and is unaware of which files are associated with those blocks. Still, it will pick up on which blocks are most frequently used, and that should persist if you put your L2 cache on an SSD. It might take a while for the cache to "heat up" and have the information ready to go in the L2 cache, but after a few sessions you should see read times improve dramatically.
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tomal »

EricL wrote: PrimoCache is a block-level cache, which means it only concerns itself with blocks on the disk and is unaware of which files are associated with those blocks. Still, it will pick up on which blocks are most frequently used, and that should persist if you put your L2 cache on an SSD. It might take a while for the cache to "heat up" and have the information ready to go in the L2 cache, but after a few sessions you should see read times improve dramatically.
What I would like to see is some sort of pre-caching of most frequently used blocks after not-clean system shutdown. As it stands now, Primocache will clean the L2 cache and start building it from the beginning. It would be great to have the option to pre-cache the disk with the data that was there before the non-clean shutdown.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

If you want something like that, you may try to check out eboostr. It will keep the precache data even on not unclean shutdown. Then again, you would have reduandant (same data) on both caching software.

I use it in the past when primocache was just fancycache and does not have the persistant L2.
EricL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EricL »

Tomal wrote: What I would like to see is some sort of pre-caching of most frequently used blocks after not-clean system shutdown. As it stands now, Primocache will clean the L2 cache and start building it from the beginning. It would be great to have the option to pre-cache the disk with the data that was there before the non-clean shutdown.
That might be possible, although I would be concerned about the cache being out of sync with the data on the drive. Some rebuilding of the cache would be absolutely essential to prevent that. Still, the table of "hot" data could be preserved, thus allowing the cache to be rebuilt much more quickly. The worse outcome of that scenario would be that some data would get cached that didn't need to be (if, for instance, it was being moved during the crash).
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tomal »

minhgi wrote:If you want something like that, you may try to check out eboostr. It will keep the precache data even on not unclean shutdown. Then again, you would have reduandant (same data) on both caching software.

I use it in the past when primocache was just fancycache and does not have the persistant L2.
I tried eBoostr before, but it has a limit of 16GB cache or something. Plus they don't develop it anymore it seems. The last version is from 2010.
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stenrulz »

Thinking about this it might be possible using L2 cache to a RAM drive that get saved automatically. There are are few issues with this as you are wasting extra disk space and small performance hit.
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stenrulz »

I have just done a test with Primo Ramdisk and it is working, currently just got it to save on shutdown but supports other options. You have to use the SCSI disk type which is a disappointment, would really like them to support their own Direct-IO disk. I understand it would be hard to support other brand ram disk but their own should not be hard at all. Please let me know what you think?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

I try to use Primo Ramdisk with Promocache for the L2, the cache does not get load up early enough to help speed up durning boot, especially a 1GB ramdisk. After the boot up, then the ramdisk cache come into play. A little to late.
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stenrulz »

Do not think you are going to get boost for start up as it has to load the RAM disk before any L2 is active. The time it would take to load X GB into RAM would be better put towards loading your start up applications. The whole point using a L2 is to keep cache data for things that you frequently use after boot up such as game maps, etc.