PrimoCache and Pagefile on seperate partitions causes pagefile issues. Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
AusKarlos
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache and Pagefile on seperate partitions causes pagefile issues.

Post by AusKarlos »

Windows OS:
Windows 10 21H1 19043.1526
    CPU:
Intel i7 9800X
    Main Board:
ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe II
    Memory:
64GB DDR4 3600mhz
    Hard Drives:
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2 Partitions Linux/Windows
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB 1 Partition
3x Samsung 850 256GB RAID 0 1 Partition
Intel Optane 900p 280GB 2 Partitions Pagefile(60GB) / PrimoCahce
PrimoCache Version:

Problem Description:
I currently have 2 partitions on my Intel Optane drive, the first partition serves as the system pagefile and the second partition is for PrimoCache to use.
The issue im facing is that if I set the Pagefile to the partition on the same drive that is shared with PrimoCache Windows thinks the pagefile is corrupted when first Booting into Windows. However Windows will not setup a temporary pagefile and still use the Pagefile set on the Optane. Setting the pagefile to a different drive and rebooting will remove the error message at boot and restoring the pagefile to the Optane partition will cause the error to return.
Im under the assumption that at some point during the boot process into Windows when PrimoCache loads its locked the entire Storage device and thus might be causing this error.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: PrimoCache and Pagefile on seperate partitions causes pagefile issues.

Post by Support »

Interesting, we don't see this problem and PrimoCache doesn't lock or load the entire device. Is it possible that Windows just cannot correctly set the pagefile on the first partition even you format the second partition back to a normal partition?
AusKarlos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AusKarlos »

Ok so I found the issue and its not a conflict with PrimoCache. Its Windows been Windows. Microsoft have only 1 error GUI message for a pagefile error. Even the event viewer doesn't state what the actual error is. But at the same time i Installed PromoCache I also increased my RAM by an additional 32GB, Windows was attempting to set the system pagefile greater than the partition size, I don't know why it doesn't throw this error when the pagefile is placed on a drive with less available space than the partition size i was using.
Anyway manually adjusting the pagefile to use a set size fixed the issue.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

:) Glad to hear that you have resolved the problem now.