Level 2

Win7 Hang while L2 filling up.

Post by qweqwe321 »

Windows OS: Win7SP1 64bit
Hardware Information
    CPU: RYZEN 5 1600
    Main Board: Asrock AB350m PRO r2.0
    Memory: 4*8GB=32GB
    Hard Drives: 1SDD + 9HDD. 8HDD combined to windows7 software based RAID0.
PrimoCache Version: 4.0.0, 4.0.1 alpha and latest 3.xx and
Screenshot(s) of your PrimoCache's main dialog showing cache configuration and statistics:

Problem Description:
After testing big WinRAR archive (34GB) from disk R: (Win7 software based raid0 from 8HDD) - primocache start to filling L2 cache (Free cache L2 size goes down) .
While doing so - whole system "hang". Some programs which don't issue disk reading - will continue to work. But all other's (including Windows itself and Explorer.exe) - will hang (waiting for disk system to response). HDD LED constantly lit (without any blinking).

The only solution is to press RESET button.

Tested last stable version 3.xx and last alpha version. Both version have same problem.
Attachments
PCache.png
PCache.png (108.7 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Win7 Hang while L2 filling up.

Post by Support »

qweqwe321 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm After testing big WinRAR archive (34GB) from disk R: (Win7 software based raid0 from 8HDD) - primocache start to filling L2 cache (Free cache L2 size goes down) .
Did you extract the rar archive or just copy/read this file?

PS. In your settings, cache size is too small compared with target drives which have huge capacity.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Support wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 pmPS. In your settings, cache size is too small compared with target drives which have huge capacity.
Totally agree with this sentiment - you are trying to cache far too much with far too small a L2 size. And with only a 15 second deferred write time, if you are doing WinRAR pack/unpack operations that take longer than that, the OS/App has to pause while the write cache flushes.
qweqwe321
Level 2
Level 2

Post by qweqwe321 »

I opened WinRAR archive, when press TEST. This mean only reading from HDD to RAM. No writing intended from me as user. Primocache try to fill L2 cache and then hang all system.

Yesterday I checked "Immediate" filling L2 cache - and system immediately start laggish and unresponding. Somehow I manage to kill WinRAR process, and change settings back to "NORMAL" without pressing reboot.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

PrimoCache is designed to fill L2 cache when system is idle. This "hang" problem seems kind of weird. Did you notice that value of "L2Storage Write" keeps increasing if you highlight the R drive when PrimoCache tried to fill L2 cache?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

qweqwe321 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 am I opened WinRAR archive, when press TEST. This mean only reading from HDD to RAM. No writing intended from me as user...
WinRAR's "Test" does an extract to your temporary folder - unless you had that moved onto a ramdisk, this would most certainly involve lots of hard disk activity.

A workaround may be to relocate your Temp folder to a volume that isn't covered by PrimoCache.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@InquiringMind, we checked the winrar test process, not much data were written to disk, compared with data amount read. But you inspired us, here cache is too too small while caching read and write both. So to narrow down the cause of the problem, I would suggest caching the drive R only and changing L2 to 100% read only, then let's see if this works.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

I did a check also with Process Monitor and you're correct, WinRAR's Test only reads compressed files and doesn't write them out. Seems to be my day for corrections. ;)
qweqwe321
Level 2
Level 2

Post by qweqwe321 »

After pressing RESET button my system time get changed from 03-january-2021 to 16-december-2020. PrimoCache decided what trial period is ended :) I have uninstalled it for now.

For now It's seem to be hardware related problem (or deep deep software Disk I/O drivers related).

My specs:
ASRock AB350 pro4 R2.0; Ryzen 5 1600 (8core); 2x8GB GoodRam (Hynix); 2x8GB HyperX (Nanya)
MotherBoard has 4 SATA ports
PCI-e extension card has 8 SATA ports (4 native + 5 through SATA multiplier) = Marvel 88SE9215 + JMicron JMB5xx (you can found it on aliexpress)
Marvel chip has it's own bios - no drivers needed.
JMicron JMB5xx - needs windows driver to work.

I randomly get BSOD 0x0000013 when try to write to RAID0 (Win7 DinamicDisk).

1. I try to check my RAID0 disk with Crystal DiskMark (32GB test size).
2. Then before beginning test - CDM (Crystal DiskMark for short) try to create 32GB file - Write is hiccup at some point. Writing is totally stopped or it may do some short burst (with low speed 5-100 mb/s).
3. Then after 1-3 minutes I get BSOD 0x000013 without any dll or sys name.
4. Also if CDM is successful at creating 32GB test file - then it can easily do reading test, but then again will "hang" on performing writing test.

I have tried to increase SOC voltage. I have tried to disable overclocking by resetting my Bios settings to default. I have tried to lower PCI-e speed to Generation 1 (PCI-e X16; NVME; Promontory). Don't change a thing.

I has deconstructed my RAID0 - and check every single disk for writing (by CDM - 32GB test size). Each of 8 disks seems to be OK, and show normal write/read speed for single HDD. No BSOD or write hiccups while checking Disks one by one.

And now I'm lost in thoughts.
I'll try to rewire my HDD's - maybe it's related to faulty SATA cable. Or thin wire power cable? BAD power supply unit?
I bent PCB of one HDD then installed it in PC - may be heads pins lost contact? Did WRIGHT and READ use different contacts?
I'll also try RAID0 containing only 7 Disks - it will be 8 tests to reveal bad HDD.

For now I want to know how Primocahe installed to Windows - driver name or something.
I have not seen any autorun or new service while Primocache was installed.

I also thinking of conflicting drivers of JMicron JMB5xx and some other programs:
PrimoCache - I don't know how it's installed into windows System, did it deleted fully while uninstalling?
Marcium Reflect - this is WORM software - spreading like cancer
Acronis TrueImage - this is WORM software - spreading like cancer
Acronis DiskDirector - questionable
MiniTool PartionWizard - questionable

PS: sorry by bad English.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Macrium Reflect is in fact, quality software without any detrimental or harmful effects on systems. I've used it on both desktops and servers for years, and rely on it with confidence. It does however have certain features that can track drive changes that you might want to disable for optimal Primocache compatibility.