Certain keys of the keyboard don’t work after installing v3.2.0

Found a bug? Report here
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Certain keys of the keyboard don’t work after installing v3.2.0

Post by phil »

v3.0.9 – no such problem
v3.2.0 – certain keys of the keyboard don’t work (eg. a, f, g, l, shift, ctrl, enter, spacebar, etc.)
v4.0.0 alpha – no such problem

Cache setting : 2048MB of OS managed memory, applied on C and D drives, with or without defer-write (problem still occurs in v3.2.0)

Hardware configuration :
HP Pavilion x360 11-u012tu (Pentium N3710, 8GB ram, 11.6” IPS touch)
Win 10 Home 1909 18363.657 (latest build)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Certain keys of the keyboard don’t work after installing v3.2.0

Post by Support »

Does the issue disappear after you stop the cache or uninstall the program? I don't think we have changes which might cause this issue among v3.0.9, 3.2.0 and 4.0.0. The issue looks quite weird...
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

support wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:11 am Does the issue disappear after you stop the cache or uninstall the program?
Issue disappears after uninstalling v3.2.0

Update :
I will always enable defer-write (say 60 secs) and prefetch
v3.0.9 - It was very stable. And this was the version I tried before buying the license.
v3.2.0 - The issue occurs
v4.0.0 alpha - It looks ok in the beginning. Then certain keys of the keyboard started not working after using the laptop for a while. I tried to disable prefetch, the issue seems disappeared. Will continue to try the app
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Could you open the command prompt and run chkdsk on C and D drives to check if file systems on C and D drives are good. And run sfc command to check Windows files are not corrupted (sfc /scannow)?
You may also try 3.0.9 again which can be downloaded from the following link.
https://www.romexsoftware.com/download/ ... .Setup.zip
Thanks.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

support wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:25 am Could you open the command prompt and run chkdsk on C and D drives to check if file systems on C and D drives are good. And run sfc command to check Windows files are not corrupted (sfc /scannow)?
You may also try 3.0.9 again which can be downloaded from the following link.
https://www.romexsoftware.com/download/ ... .Setup.zip
Thanks.
I’m using Kingston A400 240GB SSD (partitioned into C and D drives). Tried chkdsk and SFC /Scannow on both partitions, nothing went wrong.

v3.2.0 and v4.0.0 alpha :
Previously I’ve mentioned disabling prefetch to get rid of the issue, it seems that’s not enough. Further testing shows that I have to disable defer-write and prefetch. Even so, occasionally certain keys of the keyboard were still ‘not as responsive as before”. At the end, I need to uninstall v3.2.0 and v4.0.0 alpha to bring the system back to “normal”.

Fallback to v3.0.9 could be an interim solution. However if the issue exists in v3.2.0. and v4.0.0 alpha, and the cause of it is unknown, it would be quite likely to encounter the same issue in the coming v4.0.0 production release. As such, I may need to stay at v3.0.9 (for that particular HP laptop) until … forever!

Tks for your support!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the testing and information! I'd like to know if these keys were completely not working or just very slow to response? Could you upload a screenshot of PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics? Thanks.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

support wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:04 am Thank you for the testing and information! I'd like to know if these keys were completely not working or just very slow to response? Could you upload a screenshot of PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics? Thanks.
At first, the keys were completely not working. Upon repeatedly pressing the keys, they were then very slow to response. I'm going to reset the laptop using Win 10 "Reset this PC" function, then reinstall v3.2.0 to see if the situation might improve. Tks.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

You may also want to run a full anti-virus, rootkit, bootkit scan. Primocache installs at the kernel level, and anything looking to "tag along" by infecting it at that level may produce serious issues for the machine when that happens.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Jaga wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:42 pm You may also want to run a full anti-virus, rootkit, bootkit scan. Primocache installs at the kernel level, and anything looking to "tag along" by infecting it at that level may produce serious issues for the machine when that happens.
ok thanks, will do :)
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Jaga wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:42 pm You may also want to run a full anti-virus, rootkit, bootkit scan. Primocache installs at the kernel level, and anything looking to "tag along" by infecting it at that level may produce serious issues for the machine when that happens.
scanned using Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA 1.10.3.1001, no malware found