ghosthardware
Level 1
Level 1

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

Post by ghosthardware »

PrimoCache version: 2.4.0
Cache Settings: read/write, read-only
Windows OS: win10 64
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks):i7-2720qm, alienware m17x r3, 4x4gb hyundai, plextor px-128m5s SSD, seagate HDD
Description:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD when turning R/W or RO cache on for SSD (which is system disk).
i've read through same topics and tried everything written there.
i have no encryption software (removed norton PGP), have no norton ghost.
i've checked everything that can mess with disk access through their drivers.
i've updated drivers, including iastora.sys
tried different cache sizes, same or separate tasks for ssd and hdd, different settings and so on.

at first it was about 24 hours of work after reboot until BSOD popped up. then it started to crash during 1st hour.

everything was always ok for HDD disk (and ok now): irrelevant to drivers or software installed.

i attach
Minidump.rar
(325.12 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
from different periods (also one of them differs by failed driver, fltmgr.sys instead of ntoskrnl.sys)
if you need some more information, i will be happy to give it.
i had't seen blue screen on my system for sooooooooooo long i even don't remember how long before i've installed primocache..
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

Post by Support »

Thank you for the bug report!
We have emailed you a test version for this problem. Can you help us check it?
This version has already been tested by some users who also had memory management bsod and they reported the new version fixes the problem. However, in their cases, bsod errors were only happened when defer-write is enabled. So I'm not sure if the new version works for you.
eddamoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eddamoo »

I am also having the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD. Usually occurrs on intentive Read AND Write operations to the same SSD. Defer Write is enabled.

This occurred in both 2.2.0 and 2.4.0. Unsure of other versions.

Please could you email me a link to the proposed fix and i will happily feedback. I seem to see this every 2 days presently.

Many thanks. Ed
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

we have released 2.5.0 now. You may download it from the following link.
https://www.romexsoftware.com/download/ ... .Setup.zip
Thanks.
jdante87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdante87 »

Hello,

Found this forum this morning because I had serious MEMORY_MANAGEMENT issues with PrimoCache. Defer write is also enabled to 600 seconds, used the average flush settings. Windows 10 32 bits.
Activated flush on sleep to prevent loosing data.

Impossible to start a serious heavy SSD work task. Even opening Chrome with lots of tabs was giving me blue screen. It seems that primocache is "overwhelmed" when there is to much requests. This is really a problem in Primocache as I had BOSD on my notebook (i7 2620m, 4GB) AND my desktop comp (C2D E8500, 2 gb RAM).

The minidumps are attached, just rename the rar to dmp (do not extract).
Attachments
082416-11468-01.rar
(100.94 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
082516-5109-01.rar
(113.26 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
082516-26687-01.rar
(109.36 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@jdante87, what version of PrimoCache do you install?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I can't verify that problem on W10 x64 w/anniversary edition. It may be related to the 32-bit OS and/or Primo on it. I can use sleep, hibernate, hybrid-sleep/hibernate, etc without problems. Can run any type of drive/system benchmark, or open 20+ browser (Chrome) windows.

Primo might be having issues with low-RAM systems. What OS was installed on that Notebook (4gb RAM) and desktop comp (2gb RAM)? When you setup the cache on them, did you account for the extra RAM overhead associated with their index in Primo? I could easily see Primo (or the OS) blue screening if it ran out of resources unexpectedly.
jdante87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdante87 »

Hello,

I used the before before last version of PrimoCache, the 2.4, here it was BSODing for sure. After I am not really sure if I used the 2.5 too because I removed again PrimoCache and I reinstalled it back few days ago, I still had BSOD, thus I will try it back to be really sure that the 2.5 is working or not.

Any of the two systems, they where running Windows 10, version 32 bit (need software compatibility). The RAM overhead was about 103 MB for the notebook. The bluescreen happens sometime at the moment when Windows happens to come on the desktop after the boot, sometimes, I will have to open Chrome or do a heavy task and suddenly it crashes.

After your answer Jaga, things becomes a little bit more clear
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Jdante87,

If you are running on 32-bit Windows, then you very likely don't have access to the full 4GB on your laptop (32-bit is limited to 3.25GB). In this case, you should make use of PrimoCache's "Invisible Memory" feature to gain access to the remaining memory (0.75GB or so) - could you confirm whether this was enabled or not?

A 2GB system (your desktop here) doesn't really have enough memory to make good use of PrimoCache - using Windows' own file caching would seem to be a better idea.
jdante87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdante87 »

I am testing the 2.5 and so far so good. I don't do yet heavy duty work because I would not like to corrupt my Windows folder and repair it for the moment.

2 GB seems very low in our days, but I really need a small cache boost for the programs I am using (at least 64-128 MB), on this machine I don't do a lot of internet browsing and other things, only program compilation and running databases.

Concerning the invisible memory, it was working perfectly according to its claims and after I disabled it because I thought it was the cause of the BSOD. Since the new 2.5 version I installed today, I didn't enable it. I will enable it mid next week, to be sure that the basic settings currently in use are working well.

This picture is from the 4GB i7 notebook.
Attachments
2016-08-28_170129.png
2016-08-28_170129.png (13.73 KiB) Viewed 10304 times