Slow Performance

Found a bug? Report here
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Slow Performance

Post by stenrulz »

Hello,

I have notice slow performance with PrimoCache (5217MB/s) vs SoftPerfect RAM Disk (9654MB/s). The only reason why SoftPerfect RAM Disk is maxing out if at 9654MB/s is due to the single thread process at 3.75Ghz. The system has 64GB DDR3 1600MHz with Quad Channel Memory Architecture.
1.png
1.png (82.43 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
3.png
3.png (104.8 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
As well for testing i did install Primo RAMdisk Server Edition as per the below screenshot. It is even better than PrimoCache but still slower than SoftPerfect RAM Disk.
2.png
2.png (104.27 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
Could you please investigate? Thank you.
Nina
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Slow Performance

Post by Nina »

you're comparing apple to orange.. disk cache (PrimoCache) is NOT a ram drive (SoftPerfect RAM Disk).
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stenrulz »

They are different products but when using a new L1 cache that is large enough to store all current read and write requests, it should be around the same performance. As per the SoftPerfect RAM Disk screenshot it seems that there is some large room for improvement for quad channel architecture users.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

stenrulz wrote:They are different products but when using a new L1 cache that is large enough to store all current read and write requests, it should be around the same performance...
Not necessarily - a cache has higher management overheads (checking whether data is cached and if not whether it should be, possibly displacing something else) than a ramdisk.

However your performance figures do seem a little low for a quad-channel system (I see 8-9GB/s sequential r/w with triple channel DDR3 and a 3.36GHz Core i7 as noted here). Blocksize may be the cause - I found 64KB to be the sweet spot performance-wise, so if you are using the default 4KB size then increasing it should improve matters.
khoaofgod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khoaofgod »

1 more stupid compare ... RAM DISK vs Cache.. LOL...
The Cache have to calculate many things to give you extractly what you need, Full HDD Cached.

The RAM DISK don't need to calculate anything, give you extractly what you need, 2GB HDD created by RAM... hahaha