Stopping deferred write cache issue

Found a bug? Report here
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Stopping deferred write cache issue

Post by robnitro »

Hi,
I was running deferred write doing tests with many different sizes and types (read and read/write).
Primo 0.9.2 on win7 x64 w 8gb ram

A lot of times if I just hit stop cache (even if it is paused) the UI would say stopping but not respond anymore. Couldn't kill the process with taskmgr or even taskkill /IM /F!
A reboot would not complete, just sitting there with the spinning circle forever so I'd have to kill power.

If I do flush cache first though, the stop cache works ok.

Just a bug to report, maybe need to automate a flush before a stop happens.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Stopping deferred write cache issue

Post by Support »

Thanks for your bug report!

"Stop Cache" will firstly flush cache (deferred write-data) to the disk. We'll check this issue.
willaim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by willaim »

Crash upon emptying large amount of deferred writes

With a full cache of deferred writes > 500mb or so total cache is 1.25gb read/write mode deferred write 300 seconds
Primocache will crash upon manually committing deferred writes or trying to stop cache and hang shut down as well

left it for 1hr the first time and 30 minutes the second before I pulled the plug

Moral: dont do anything with a full cache
khoaofgod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khoaofgod »

I got this problem too, wait 2 hours and I have to do hard reset.
I use 1GB RAM cache + L2 24GB SSD with Write 10 sec
Bjameson
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bjameson »

I did the same tests with Primo 0.9.2. Windows 8.1, 36 GB of RAM, Asus P6T mobo. Vertex2 SSD, WD 2TB spinning disk cached. 8 GB cache with 300 sec delayed write. Filled the write cache by large file copying and loading VMs. Stopped, restarted, flushed many times. No crashes. The GUI hangs for a few secs while flushing but then it returns with a 'Flushed' message. Flushing may take longer if a process is writing to the cache while flushing but Primo eventually catches up. No data lost. So I was wondering if the crash/hang problem might possibly be Windows-related.