System Resource Monitor doesn't show Disk read details Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

System Resource Monitor doesn't show Disk read details

Post by Tomal »

One small issues I noticed so far is that in System Resource Monitor when I look at my Disk utilization, I can see the overall Disk read/write speed, but it always shows zero for individual files. So I can hear my disks working, I can see the overall disk read speeds, but I cannot see which files are being accessed.

Here is my system: Vista 64, 2x512GB HDD in RAID 1 (Intel Matrix Storage 8.9.0.1023), Crucial M4 SSD 64GB, 8GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: System Resource Monitor doesn't show Disk read details

Post by Support »

I'm sorry that this issue cannot be solved. PrimoCache intercepts read/write requests and may process these requests in its internal threads in which the resource mointor thinks the file as "system". Here is for your reference,
viewtopic.php?f=26&p=1488
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kalua »

I completely understand why file activity is unavailable in Resource Monitor for a volume being cached....

But I (reluctantly) converted to PrimoCache from FacnyCache, and I was using the DISK version of FC, not the volume version, and the DISK version still shows file activity in Resource Monitor. Unfortunately, there seems not to be an option for a DISK cach... only VOLUMNE cach in PrimoCache.

Any chance of getting a VOLUME cache version of PrimoCache?
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robnitro »

The main problem for me with this, on my HTPC server, is that i schedule IO priority using processhacker.

I make my commercial skip scans and torrents LOWEST I/O priority and windows media center recorder as HIGH, so no videos get skips in them when the server is backlogged.

However with primocache, since the OS doesn't handle the IO requests, it ends up not doing the right prioritization.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

With PrimoCache beeing active on the drive handling the "windows media center"-processes there is no need to put the I/O-priority on high. If the torrents are on a sperated drive not handled by PrimoCache then you can still handle the I/O-priority of them to LOW with processhacker. If both drives/folders (MCE/torrent) is handled with Primo you probably won't need I/O-priorisation anymore.

Also you do not need to put up extreme-priority-settings (like highest vs. lowest) to make the windows-priority governer to work in your favor. It is sufficent if you lower your backlogg-stuff by 1 priority-level if you really encounter drive-laggs caused by I/O-priority... so your MCE ends up having a higher priority. That's what counts! Slow drive, huh? :D
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robnitro »

Not a slow drive, but I used to run a separate OS drive so it is night and day.
For sake of space and simplicity and to get back one sata port for my snapraid storage (high reccomended parity raid without the drawbacks of striping!)
I made the 4tb 7200rpm seagate drive have the OS partition.

When comskip scans for commercials, being a sequential read but cpu limited on one core- it runs multiple instances checking different parts of the file, it ends up doing a lot of intensive disk reads randomly.

I also don't feel like running a single shared cache between the OS and TV partitions of that drive, because the TV 3+TB partition eats a lot of memory for overhead even at 512k. Instead I run read only 1gb for OS, 8k. And the TV gets 256MB, 512k, read/write, lazywrite 5seconds... which helps when recording multiple shows at one time (my cablecard tuner can do 4 channels at one time- each maxing out around 20mbps mpeg2, which is about 2-3 MB/s).