Write cache L2 Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
wave
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Write cache L2

Post by wave »

wave wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am I had already done some tests for windows fast boot:
fast boot disabled + cache enabled - 50s to 60s
fast boot enabled + cache disabled - 35s
fast boot enabled + cache enabled - 25s to 35s
so I left it on...
as for the percentage of the read / write cache, how do you recommend to set it?
while I forgot the pc turned on the antivirus started the background scan for rootkits. as a result primocache added more than 10GB to the read cache. Now the boot time is improved because it is stable at 25s with a 99% hit rate. Windows fast boot is enabled.
wave wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Support wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:57 pm Average mode is usually for scenarios in which there are heavy writes incoming.
Could you be more specific about what it does? I would like to set the most reliable option for my system. Thank you!
anyway not knowing what the "media" option does, I set ide-flush and for now it works fine. I also set 75% read and 25% write.
Last edited by wave on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Support wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:57 pm Without defer-write enabled, write-data will be immediately written to the HDD. Write performance will also not be improved.
so it does not pass through the L2 cache but it is directly written to the hdd?
If you don't specify write cache space for L1/L2 (in the advanced L1/L2 cache settings dialog), write-data will not go to the cache. If you set write cache space or shared cache space, write-data will be also cached. In such case, if defer-write is also enabled, write-data will be written to the target disks after specified latency. Otherwise they will be written to disks immediately.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Support wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:57 pm Average mode is usually for scenarios in which there are heavy writes incoming.
Could you be more specific about what it does? I would like to set the most reliable option for my system. Thank you!
For eg. Assume the latency is 10s, and there are about 1GB incoming write-data suddenly. With average mode, PrimoCache will write about 100MB data per second to disks.
wave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wave »

Support wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:18 am For eg. Assume the latency is 10s, and there are about 1GB incoming write-data suddenly. With average mode, PrimoCache will write about 100MB data per second to disks.
clear, thanks. now I understand why it is recommended for heavy write loads.