Two questions about L2 Gather Algorithm

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Two questions about L2 Gather Algorithm

Post by RobF99 »

1. Does L2 Gather gather the data in an optimized way e.g. gathers data in sequential order according to cluster number?

2. Does Instant gather setting in any way interfere with file access if the drive is accessing data from the hard drive or is the data just written to L2 immediately as it is accessed from the hard drive? I tried testing this but could not come to any meaningful conclusion.

Thanks in advance.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Two questions about L2 Gather Algorithm

Post by Support »

RobF99 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 am 1. Does L2 Gather gather the data in an optimized way e.g. gathers data in sequential order according to cluster number?
Yes.
RobF99 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 am 2. Does Instant gather setting in any way interfere with file access if the drive is accessing data from the hard drive or is the data just written to L2 immediately as it is accessed from the hard drive? I tried testing this but could not come to any meaningful conclusion.
Cache integrity/synchronization has already been considered to ensure cached data is correct and updated.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Thanks. I should have been more clear on question 2. I meant file read performance. Does Instant Gather slow down read performance at all from the hard drive if data is not in L2 since it will instantaneously read HDD and write to L2.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Processing read requests and populating L2 data are still separated. The "Instant" option ignores the device busy status and writing to L2 will almost instantly triggered after a fresh read request. So for a single read request, the performance will not be affected. However, if reading requests are quite heavy, the whole performance might be affected.