Advice please

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Advice please

Post by Jaga »

Windows 10 also has it's own automated TRIM function built in, separate from the drive's own garbage collection routines/etc. You can set it up rather easily by going to optimize the drive, and clicking on "Change Settings" under the "Scheduled Optimization" area. You can even over-provision your own drive by leaving X% of free unallocated space at the end of it using the Drive Management tool in Windows. Magician is not needed at all other than to check drive health.
meditek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by meditek »

I eventually uninstalled Primocache and, since then, program loading time has become painfully slow (up to 3x as long as before). Any evidence that Primo uninstall leaves problems behind?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

There will be some registry keys left behind to ensure that people can't just uninstall/reinstall to get another trial period (and these use illegal characters to prevent their removal using RegEdit or similar tools). These should have no effect on performance though.

It's likely that you are more aware of how slow uncached data access is. Windows' own file cache makes a big difference, but it takes time to build up so if you reboot your system regularly, it has to start from scratch each time.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

meditek wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 pm I eventually uninstalled Primocache and, since then, program loading time has become painfully slow (up to 3x as long as before). Any evidence that Primo uninstall leaves problems behind?
An uninstall of Primocache should have zero (0) impact on your machine performance. It's likely that what you are seeing is raw Windows performance. You had gotten used to the improvements Primocache was giving.
Babel17
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Babel17 »

On Windows 10 (Pro), I just go to Administrative Tools/Defragment and Optimize Drives/click on the solid state drive I want to execute trim on, and choose "Optimize". The utility afterward notes the date since the drive's last retrim. "retrim" is specifically used, so I'll say that it's fair to think that a trim is exactly what happened.
meditek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by meditek »

Are you suggesting trim can mess up an SSD?