Does PrimoCache work with the WindowsApps folder?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
grcd84
Level 1
Level 1

Does PrimoCache work with the WindowsApps folder?

Post by grcd84 »

This might be a dumb question, but hear me out. The WindowsApps folder is an encrypted folder to which normal users (and even administrators) do not typically have access. The folder is set-up by Windows, specifically by the XBOX application (for Game Pass Game Installations) as well as the Windows App Store. It is used, as the name implies, to install games and applications that come with the DRM implementation that Microsoft favours. The folder 'belongs' by default to a special user - who is a user class reserved for the applications in question. Even a Windows 10 'admin' cannot edit, view, or delete this folder. I have set-up the drive (a separate SSD) where these applications (specifically, XBOX Game Pass games) are installed to work with Primo Cache; with L1 (RAM) and L2 (NVME) storage available to this drive. Yet, despite having installed several games amounting more than 1TB, and playing them regularly, I don't see PrimoCache actually making use of either the Read or Write cache. I suspect that because of the specific nature of this folder, it does not get accounted for by PrimoCache. Are my suspicions correct?
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Does PrimoCache work with the WindowsApps folder?

Post by janusz521 »

From the documentation:
"PrimoCache is a block-level cache program which caches data on a logical block basis."

It means that PrC deals with data blocks as they are stored on the disk without interpreting how they are related to the files handled by the operating system. So no encryption or any other special treatment of the stored files can impact the way PrC is treating them. All blocks are equal.
tecnogaming
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Does PrimoCache work with the WindowsApps folder?

Post by tecnogaming »

It deals with everything.
PrimoCache works like the cache on your SSD basically.

I'm currently using as a replacement for the write-back cache embedded on all SSDs. For this to work you must use a minimum of 32GB of cache acting as write back. This will effectively speed up your whole SSD by decreasing it's time to write when normal requests occur. Very similar to how an SSD with TLC NAND works in tandem with a write-back cache of MLC.

The same applies for PrimoCache, it doesn't know a thing about folders and files but I can assure you I have no more stuttering in my Xbox Game Pass games sitting on the C: folder.

You're doing it wrong. Use your M2 SSD for Game Pass, ditch your normal SATA disk and never use anything other than pure memory.

For your specific setup I recommend the following:

At least 64GB of RAM. (96 and up to 128GB are recommended).
Install PrimoCache on your Game Pass disks as follows:

Minimum cache 32GB, recommended cache 48GB (48 is close to what Samsung uses as write cache for their TLC series with 48GB of MLC as acting intermediary cache, if you can get close to 48GB you will start to see the benefits).

Setup the cache as separate Read/Write (never together). Read 9GB, Write (the rest).

Block size at 128KB. Deferred writes MUST BE ENABLED for the cache to act as write-back similar to your SSD, set deferred time at no less than 60 seconds. Method of deferred -> Buffer or Intelligent.

Go into the advanced Deferred options and set -> Free Cache on Written. (this is the exact same behavior of any intermediary cache write on SSDs).

Be sure to have at least an UPS if you plan on using this method as a power failure could create errors on your disk.

Do not use any L2 cache, ever. Anything outside pure-memory cache is gonna be slower for what you want.

Use an M2-SSD to truly take advantage of PrimoCache as when real writing comes into the SSD it will be truly fast and sequential. This is the whole purpose of implementing an intermediary cache (as SSDs have), they optimize writes, otherwise your SSD is writing randomly (and slower) and will also create the infamous "stuttering" that you hate so much in games.

With this setup you can be sure your drive will speed up several times and you will no longer experience hiccups. Also take into account that Xbox Game Pass uses the encrypted Windows Apps model, this means it will use your CPU to decrypt. Be sure to have a good CPU for that and you should be rocking.