Use two, separate L2 cache drives for read and write?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Use two, separate L2 cache drives for read and write?

Post by audisputnik1 »

So far so good with Primocache and I have been messing with it. I like it so much I bought it weeks before the trial expired lol. Anyways, as the title says, is it possible to use two separate L2 cache drives to cache my HDD (game drive)? My use case would be to use my spare 960 EVO for read, and my spare SSD for write. Or even use a partition of my 980 PRO for the write cache.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Use two, separate L2 cache drives for read and write?

Post by Jaga »

Pretty sure the rule of thumb is one (1) L2 volume per cache task. And once you add a volume to *be* cached (i.e. your boot drive) to a cache task, it isn't available to add to any other cache task again. It is essentially a 1:1 ratio of cache volume to L2 target volume. You can use hardware or software RAID to combine drives and make a larger volume, but in your case doing so would mismatch drive speeds and end up with an unreliable L2 volume.

Best to stick with your fastest (or most readily available) volume/drive as a L2. Your 960 EVO would probably do well in this case as a L2 against your HDD. Be sure to "overprovision" that drive (typically 5-10% unallocated space) before assigning the remaining space to Primocache, to help with garbage collection/TRIM and drive lifespan.
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Use two, separate L2 cache drives for read and write?

Post by audisputnik1 »

Jaga wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:49 pm Pretty sure the rule of thumb is one (1) L2 volume per cache task. And once you add a volume to *be* cached (i.e. your boot drive) to a cache task, it isn't available to add to any other cache task again. It is essentially a 1:1 ratio of cache volume to L2 target volume. You can use hardware or software RAID to combine drives and make a larger volume, but in your case doing so would mismatch drive speeds and end up with an unreliable L2 volume.

Best to stick with your fastest (or most readily available) volume/drive as a L2. Your 960 EVO would probably do well in this case as a L2 against your HDD. Be sure to "overprovision" that drive (typically 5-10% unallocated space) before assigning the remaining space to Primocache, to help with garbage collection/TRIM and drive lifespan.
Gotcha, I guess I can do that. Oh and thanks for the OP reminder. I thought Samsung Magician does that automatically. I guess I have to set it myself.