Expand SSD with HDD using PrimoCache? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Expand SSD with HDD using PrimoCache?

Post by audisputnik1 »

So to be more specific, I have a 1tb SSD that's running out of space that I want to "increase" the space by purchasing a 8tb+ HDD so I won't have to worry about space for a long time. I only use this drive for games I rarely play, not so disk speed intensive programs, photos, videos, and files so I figured I can just purchase a 8tb+ drive and "merge" it with PrimoCache to increase the capacity.. Traditionally, PrimoCache is used the other way, by adding a SSD to an existing HDD. Can it be done the other way? I also have 32gb of RAM I rarely use and maybe I can use 8gb for PrimoCache.

Thanks!
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Expand SSD with HDD using PrimoCache?

Post by janusz521 »

The most obvious way is to create a partition on the SSD that will act as an L2 cache for the HDD. Logically, both disks still will be separate drives but the recently used content of the HDD will be accessed faster through the L2 cache. So keep the OS and the most important files on the SSD and move all other ones to the HDD.

I am not aware of any common way to logically extend a single drive/partition across several separate physical drives. PrimoCache is unlikely to help with this as well.
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by audisputnik1 »

My OS is installed on my 980 PRO and the files on the SSD. I guess what I was thinking is similar to Windows 10's Storage Spaces, but with that I have to delete the files on my SSD.. I could also look into StoreMi v2..

Thanks for the help!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

No, PrimoCache is designed to speed up disk access, for eg. using RAM to speed up SSDs/HDDs, using a SSD to speed up HDDs. It is not designed to increase capacity by merging/binding two drives.
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by audisputnik1 »

Support wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:26 am No, PrimoCache is designed to speed up disk access, for eg. using RAM to speed up SSDs/HDDs, using a SSD to speed up HDDs. It is not designed to increase capacity by merging/binding two drives.
Yeah I was thinking of Windows 10's Storage Spaces when I asked about this. Thanks again!
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by audisputnik1 »

Ok so far so good with PrimoCache with my Storage Space (1TB SSD + 4TB HDD). It transfers file pretty fast, especially with 980 PRO > Storage Space. I'm currently caching it with L1 4GB and 446.75GB L2 50% R/W. Block size is at 32KB. Now my question is, why is cache hit rate at 0.00%? Is that normal? Also if there's a better/optimal settings for my setup, please let me know.

EDIT: Restarting my PC, I can now see the cache hit rate working.

Oh and to mods, I just realized I posted this at Primo RAMDisk section... Ooops.. Please feel free to move this.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-10 105822.png
Screenshot 2021-05-10 105822.png (260.6 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I think you might not need so much L2 write space because defer-write is 10s only. You may need check the Defer-write advanced option "Flush L1 Cache to L2 Cache", thus when L1 is full it won't flush deferred write-data to disks until the latency has expired.
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by audisputnik1 »

Support wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:37 am I think you might not need so much L2 write space because defer-write is 10s only. You may need check the Defer-write advanced option "Flush L1 Cache to L2 Cache", thus when L1 is full it won't flush deferred write-data to disks until the latency has expired.
Gotcha. I also increased my L1 since I have more leftover ram. I'll play with 75% R / 25% W, but so far I'm impressed. So much so that I will redo my Storage Space and just make it all HDD. A few games I played loaded way faster than when it was installed on the 980 PRO! (Forza Horizon 4, Dota 2, and CSGO) :D.
audisputnik1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by audisputnik1 »

Ok so here's my final config. Though I read in this forum that 128 cluster size may actually be better to save memory overhead, but then again I'd have to back up my drive again and move it back since I would have to format the drive to change the physical disk's cluster size. Is this good config?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-12 181038.png
Screenshot 2021-05-12 181038.png (276.71 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, I think now is good. :thumbup: