how to configure?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
fpefpe
Level 3
Level 3

Re: how to configure?

Post by fpefpe »

Hello --- can the cashing software be effective with just L1 cache? I read that there is code in in the software when also using L2 cache which is connected to the computer via USB --- is it possible that if the L2 device is disconnected that could cause data corruption? Thanks again
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: how to configure?

Post by InquiringMind »

Yes, PrimoCache will work with just L1 cache (that's how I use it) and if you are caching programs on SSD or NVMe, L1 on its own is usually the best option. However you need to choose the amount of memory to allocate to L1 with some caution - too little and performance gains will be minimal, too much and you could lose performance by causing applications to use Windows' pagefile unnecessarily.

My suggestion in setting L1 cache size is as follows:
  • Before running PrimoCache, check your maximum memory usage (the "Peak Commit Charge" under the performance tab in Task Manager) and note this number - ideally near the end of your working day to ensure you have a "maximum use" figure;
  • subtract it from the RAM you have installed, and subtract an extra 1-2GB to allow a safety margin;
  • if this number is now negative, you should reconsider your use of PrimoCache, but if it is 2GB+ then you should see a benefit in creating a L1 cache of this size;
  • Experiment with block size - 4KB (Windows NTFS cluster size) means a perfect match with how your disk is organised and best performance with small files, but means a larger index (more overhead). Larger block sizes reduce that overhead and improve performance with large files.