High CPU Usage w/ Level 1 Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Flick
Level 1
Level 1

High CPU Usage w/ Level 1 Cache

Post by Flick »

No matter what the Block size & OS Managed Memory is set to and wether I enable Defer-Write or not I see the usage of the CPU very high when I scan an hard drive with CrystalDiskMark. Sometimes I see the CPU usage at 80%, other times I see it at around 28%. Without PrimoCache, the CPU usage sits at around 1-4% when I scan with CrystalDiskMark. Is there a way for me to reduce the CPU usage or remove it totally when using PrimoCache for drives? Do I have to change some kind of setting or something?

Quick Specs:
Windows 10
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4x8GB (32GB)
I7-7700K
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: High CPU Usage w/ Level 1 Cache

Post by Support »

I'm sorry for the late reply!
Flick wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:43 pm when I scan an hard drive with CrystalDiskMark
Do you mean running the bench test? This is expected, because with fast access speed, CDM can test more data, leading to high cpu utilization.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: High CPU Usage w/ Level 1 Cache

Post by InquiringMind »

Just to echo Support's response, you can expect to see higher CPU utilisation since (a) PrimoCache results in memory being accessed more often and (b) with increased speed, you have a higher rate of filesystem overheads (gathering together fragmented files, updating file metadata, checking file access permissions, etc).

If you find CPU utilisation to be a problem, you may want to investigate software like Process Lasso but even if this can limit PrimoCache's CPU usage (I'm dubious on this since PrimoCache runs as a driver, not a process) it would almost certainly mean poorer performance. However it may come in useful in dealing with other CPU-hungry processes.