FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
SylverCheetah53
Level 4
Level 4

PrimoCache Settings

Post by SylverCheetah53 »

PrimoCache.png
PrimoCache.png (46.48 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
I am considering buying this. But first, I need to see it at work.
I have 64GB of RAM. I do not know what is my block size.
A little help, please.
Thanks.
regards,
DANIEL (Romania)
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Re: PrimoCache Settings

Post by janusz521 »

Hover the mouse over the Block Size field and you should see a popup with a description. The most optimal block size is considered to be one matching the disk cluster size (usually 4kB) but it involves big memory overhead and increases the load of the CPU so you may try bigger block size values.

You may also find various info at https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... rview.html
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Try either 16KB or 32KB block size, and see what you have leftover for RAM after the overhead is calculated. If you need more RAM, increase the block size. Additionally, you might want a slightly longer Defer-Write time if you have a UPS on the computer (Uninterruptible Power Supply). If you don't have one at all, know that you risk data loss by having Defer-Write turned on.

I would also check "Start at Windows Boot".
SylverCheetah53
Level 4
Level 4

Bytes.PNG
Bytes.PNG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
Does that meen I have 512 block size?
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

What you see is the logical sector size on the disk. The concept of block size used in PrimoCache relates to the internal data organization inside of the cache. You need rather find the cluster size on the disk, and PrimoCache already shows it in every dialog displaying disk partition. Just look for the column named Cluster Size. So you may try matching the PrimoCache block size with the cluster size. But take also a look at the Memory Overhead field and see if you are happy with it. You may want to make the block size bigger to save some memory.

In the end, for the first time, you may just run PrimoCache with the default settings.
SylverCheetah53
Level 4
Level 4

This is my computer hardware:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
GPU: Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB GDDR6
RAM: HyperX 64GB DDR4, 3200Mhz, Dual-Channel
SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
HDD: 2x Seagate 8TB ST8000AS0002
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Since you have 64GB of physical system RAM, you can use a smaller "block size" in Primocache if you want to. Smaller blocks usually give greater speeds at the cost of using more system RAM. I have a similar setup - 64GB of RAM, and I am using a Cache Task in Primocache with a block size of 8KB. I used to use 16KB, but there's very little difference for my uses between the two.

As mentioned earlier, try a block size of 16KB and see how your system performs after using for a few days or a week.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

I'd agree with Jaga's smaller block size recommendation (512KB is pretty large and will be particularly wasteful if you are accessing lots of smaller files). 16-32KB should be more practical.

Assuming you have Windows and all your program files on NVMe (and keep the HDDs for non-speed critical tasks like media and archives) then I would suggest only using L1 caching on the NVMe drive, and no caching on the HDDs.
SylverCheetah53
Level 4
Level 4

Okay, I put 32KB, wich was the smallest option.
Any other advice? My HDDs are still pretty slow...
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

If you really want to speed up your HDDs, then you'll need to consider L2 caching (and sacrificing some of your NVMe space for that). However, 1TB of NVMe should be enough to accommodate programs and documents for most people, leaving your HDDs for data where speed is not important, e.g. image backups of your NVMe, media files (where being able to read data faster than playback speed offers virtually no benefit) and copies of your program installers (always keep a copy of these, to save having to redownload them in order to reinstall software).

HDDs will always be significantly slower than SSD (and especially NVMe) drives - nothing can avoid that and PrimoCache L2 can only partially hide it. Instead you should use your HDD in a way that exploits its strength (larger data capacity) and minimises its weakness.