3 Tier solution

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
g3xer
Level 1
Level 1

3 Tier solution

Post by g3xer »

Hello, I am going to be building a new system with 128GB RAM, that will be multi functional (gaming, Hyper-V, video editing etc...) and I will have 2 x 512GB NVMe drives, and I am reusing some existing 4 x 512 GB SSDs and 4 x 4TB HDD. I want to maximise capacity, performance and resilience, with the drives I will have available. Can I created a tiered storage architecture using PrimoCache so that I have a Hot warm and cool tier? or am I just limited to L1 (RAM) and L2 (SSD)?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 3 Tier solution

Post by Jaga »

At this time Primocache remains a 2-tier caching system using RAM for L1, and fast volume(s) for L2.

Given your RAM on the new system, you could easily use 24-32GB for the L1, and then the SSDs in RAID 0 for the L2 (Max L2 size currently is 2TB). Bear in mind however, you can create as many cache tasks as needed with different strategies against the different volumes to maximize gains. i.e. the L1 using RAM is best suited to cache your most frequently used programs/games and the OS, whereas the L2 is best suited for large volumes of data and less-used programs.

Segmenting off your volumes to be cached and directly targeting them with different cache tasks can very often be more beneficial and effective to achieve optimum performance. I'd suggest looking at a 24-32 GB L1 against your 2 NVMes, and your 2TB L2 against your spinner drives. I currently run with a ~30GB L1 against a 1TB NVMe boot/install drive, and it does just fine for all needs.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: 3 Tier solution

Post by minhgi »

It would amazing to get 3 tier caching solution as an option. L1 for Ram, L2 for Optane Memory, L3 large NVME / Sata SSD, and then cold storage HDD.