Hibernate and Sleep not working with an L1 cache for system-boot NVME drive Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Hibernate and Sleep not working with an L1 cache for system-boot NVME drive

Post by BonzaiDuck »

OK. It's "been awhile". When I last visited here as a forum member, I had just built my "super-system" and finished up with the Win 10 update (1703?) by mid-year 2017.

The System
Sabertooth Z170 motherboard
2x NVME drives: 1TB boot-system-disk; 256GB L2 caching disk; a 1TB SATA SSD and a 2TB media disk -- plus a 2TB backup disk for use with Macrium Reflect
RAM: 32 GB (8GB x 4) DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34 2T
NVidia (Gigabyte) GTX 1070 ("short-board")

That should do it for now. Primo-Cache was an intended early, integral part of this equation. I think I added half the RAM later -- to use 8GB caching the NVME boot disk, and another 8GB in two-tiered caching for the SSD (including the L2 256GB NVME drive).

I had been keen in building this system to assure that hibernation and sleep worked properly. Even so, the size of the hiberfil.sys is big, even if trimmed to minimal 50% of non-caching RAM. But I haven't used sleep and hibernate much for at least a year or more -- maybe two.

Few nights ago, I tried to test hibernate. It goes into hibernate, but must reboot (failing hibernate) when you wake it up. I identified the bug-check error code as 0x000000a0. Quick web-search seemed to show promise that this was a software or driver conflict. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware failure. Testing the sleep state, the very same thing happens: computer goes to sleep, then reboots itself waking up.

It didn't take long for me to consider Primo-Cache as related to the problem. BlueScreenView seems to indicate storport.sys microsoft driver, and (maybe) a timing problem. I have yet to update that driver, if it's at all possible.

The Caching
Again -- 8GB RAM for L1 of the 1TB NVME drive; 8GB RAM for L1 of the SSD. L2 is implemented for the SSD -- so it's a two-tier setup. I decided to delete the L1 cache for the boot-system NVME.

That solved the problem, at least for sleep. I can test hibernate later, but at the moment it's disabled.

Can anyone tell me how this happens? Or whether others have noticed it? Or whether my original configuration makes it impossible for hibernate/sleep to work properly? Or whether this is something that arose with more recent major Windows updates?

Truth be told, I don't need to cache the main NVME drive, since it's very fast. I don't need a benchmark which shows 19,000 MB/s throughput as opposed to the drive's touted 2,000-plus. But the caching works great as long as I only shut the machine down and start it up again. It apparently doesn't work for sleep and hibernate.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hibernate and Sleep not working with an L1 cache for system-boot NVME drive

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for your feedback! The bluescreen error code indicates the internal power error. Is there a minidump file for the bluescreen? Regarding the minidump file, please see https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/kno ... -file.html.
For a temporary solution, I think you may check the option "Release L1 Cache on Hybrid-Sleep or Hibernation" in the Advanced Level-1 Cache Options from the cache configuration dialog.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

I see that Support had replied to this, and I know I read the reply back in late december or early January.

I wouldn't know exactly how many PrimoCache users and members have run into this problem. Somewhere -- maybe even here -- I'd discussed it with another member who had foregone using hibernation and sleep anyway -- he said he just shut down his computer when it wasn't in use. But for me, say I have the PDF reader open at page 1,800 of my 2,000 page 95 Isuzu Trooper factory shop manual; I've got Quicken open to keep track of grocery and other receipts each day I get them over the month; I may have several web-pages open -- like this forum. That's a lot of trouble for shutting down and rebooting your system daily.

Just before I started trouble-shooting this problem, planning to get down to it in early January, I was engaging in casual computer-abuse by using its USB ports to charge . . . . things . . . like my cell-phone and (god forbid!) my vaping-pen. One cold, dry windy day, I was scurrying around the room and shuffling my feet, thinking that the vape-pen was fully charged. I zapped it with a static discharge from my finger and blew out my motherboard's USB controller or part of the chipset. I took a long time to trouble-shoot the hardware. I had to swap out the motherboard, and I chose to replace my Skylake with a Kaby Lake and replace four TridentZ RAM sticks with two for the same total RAM-size and specs. And while doing that, let's clean out the custom-enhanced Coolermaster Stacker 832 case, label all the SATA cables, seal the case with aluminum automotive tape and Spire foam-rubber -- "Build Back Better".

Once up and running, I decided to address this Hibernation and Sleep problem again. And -- nice that Support would mention it -- BlueScreenView had reported the Bug-Check-String, and it dawned on me after earlier less-productive web-searches that I might include "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" in my search string.

VOILA! Popped up immediately on the Bing list! Outdated Samsung NVME driver for my 1TB 960 Pro and 250GB EVO. FIXED! DONE! FINITO! Ge-endet!

And -- just as a matter of advice to pass on -- UPDATE YOUR SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE! IF it's an old version, it won't tell you "New driver ready for download" or some other such thing!

PS To avoid being as stupid and thoughtless as I for wanting my cannabis vape without thought to shuffling my feet on the carpet, ask yourself "Do I have $30 dollars? Do I have a lot of devices (dumb or smart) to charge via USB?" Get yourself a 10-port USB QC charging bus that plugs into a single wall socket! I swear, I had about five cables attached to AC plugs hogging my wall socket and adapters. Dumb, dumb, dumb and dumber!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

:thumbup: I'm happy that you have worked this problem out! Thank you for sharing your experience!