Level 1

Optimum Setting Advise

Post by Mark143 »

Newbie Here. I need advise on the best setting based on my system set up:

Windows 10 Pro x64 v2004
24GB RAM
256GB SSD System
16TB External Raid via USB C 3.1 Gen 2

Most of the tasks require me to Move/Transfer movie files up to 30GB file size each between my SSD and Raid Drive

In the very near future I might be able to update my system SSD to 512GB and use my old 256GB SSD as an L2 Cache.

Maybe an advise on with and without L2 Cache configuration.

My system is well equipped APC Power Supply BackUp.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Optimum Setting Advise

Post by Support »

I'm afraid that read-cache won't help much in your scenario because the cache size is too small compared to your target data. Defer-write with RAM cache will increase the write performance but it introduces the risk of data loss on sudden power loss, crash or other ungraceful shutdowns.
Mark143
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mark143 »

1. Would a dedicated L2 SSD Cache for my External Raid 16TB Drive improve read and write?
2. What can I do to improve read-cache considering my scenario?
3. What can I do to improve "Defer-write" RAM cache? Can I use the same L2 SSD cache above?

Thanks Again
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Primocache is really set up to read at normal speed once, then successive reads are at accelerated speeds. That's the whole idea behind drive caching software - future reads are sped up.

It sounds like what you're needing most is a 100% dedicated write cache for the RAID drive(s), so that writes go to the SSD first, then those are flushed over time to the RAID array. To do that with multiple 30GB files, you're going to need a hefty size SSD for your L2.

I'm not sure if you can improve your read caching, unless you go with a seriously large L2 which can handle the initial 30GB files and keep them in the block list long enough. When they are then moved, their space in the cache is freed up for other blocks to occupy. I'd go with a full 1TB SSD in that scenario, or a 2TB if you can afford it. A 256GB L2 might be trying to squeeze too much, though you can try it and see.

The best solution (if you can work on a budget for it) would be a large-ish SSD to devote as 100% write cache on the RAID array.