I need help Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Guestify
Level 3
Level 3

I need help

Post by Guestify »

Hello!
I'm new to primocache and I wanted to ask how do I free my cache up because I put up 32GB of L-2 cache and it's full within an hour (without me playing any heavy game) which is crazy (Read&Write)
Should I just increase the capacity and if I do wouldn't it just get full again or should I use Free Cache On Written?
Thanks for your help!

Edit:Will it also hurt my SSD lifespan because I heard SSDs die easily when you write and read constantly
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: I need help

Post by Support »

By default, L2 cache is set to 100% read only and only caches read-data in order not to wear SSD too much. If you use L2 cache to speed up writing with defer-write, there might be much write wear on L2 SSD devices and may reduce the SSD lifespan.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

There is no need to free up cache. PrimoCache will automatically discard old cached data and cache new data.
Guestify
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Guestify »

Support wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am By default, L2 cache is set to 100% read only and only caches read-data in order not to wear SSD too much. If you use L2 cache to speed up writing with defer-write, there might be much write wear on L2 SSD devices and may reduce the SSD lifespan.
So should I turn off deferred write and put it to 100% read or just turn it into read only
and will it hurt my game loading time if i turn off writing
Thanks for your answer btw
Guestify
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Guestify »

Support wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am There is no need to free up cache. PrimoCache will automatically discard old cached data and cache new data.
When does it do that?
Because I've waited about 30/20 minutes and it only discarded about 10MBs of cache
Guestify
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Guestify »

bump
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Guestify wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:52 am So should I turn off deferred write and put it to 100% read or just turn it into read only
and will it hurt my game loading time if i turn off writing
Put it to 100% read in the Advanced L2 cache settings dialog. If you don't have L1 cache, turn off defer-write.
Game loading mostly depends on the read performance.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Guestify wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 am When does it do that?
Because I've waited about 30/20 minutes and it only discarded about 10MBs of cache
When cache space is full, it always starts. But you cannot see the change from the statistics because cache is still full, just some old data is replaced by new data.