Vista and TRIM

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Vista and TRIM

Post by RobF99 »

I am aware that Vista doesn't support TRIM and as a result I never see any trimmed blocks on a Vista machine I am running PrimoCache on. What I also notice on this machine is that when L1 or L2 cache are full, the numbers remain at 32 Mb. They never go down from that if say a file that is in cache is deleted. Is this because of no support for the TRIM command in Vista. Is there any way around this so i can see the true size of the cache if it got full and then some data was removed from the cache?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Vista and TRIM

Post by Support »

TRIM is only supported in Windows 7 (or later) and NTFS file system. Without the trim support, PrimoCache is not able to immediately release the related cache when a file is deleted. However, it still will be finally removed out from the cache when cache space is full and new data needs to be cached. This is done by cache replacement algorithms.
When the value of "Free cache" remains at 32MB, it means that the cache space is full and PrimoCache will discard old cached data and caches new data by certain cache replacement algorithms.