A Question About L1-L2 Behavior

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

A Question About L1-L2 Behavior

Post by RobF99 »

If data is in L1 cache but not in L2 cache and the program reads the data from the L1 cache, is that data also then stored on L2 cache via L2Storage Write?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: A Question About L1-L2 Behavior

Post by Support »

Yes, PrimoCache will cache it into L2 when the system is idle.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Ok thanks. Now can I ask another question about V4.0.0 FlushL1Cache to L2 cache? Which data gets flushed to L2? Is it the older data that was waiting to flush to hard drive or is it the newer data that now goes to L2 instead of L1?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

It's older data.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Ok. I put a feature request in Feature Request section. I think you can add Write data that was in L1 cache but not in L2 cache to L2 cache at the same time as you do L2Storage Write. It is a good time to do it because if L1 Write data was evicted from cache it is no longer cached and if you need that data again, it is slower to read it from hard drive. I think that if PrimoCache handled the data that it should find a way to make it to L2 and L2Storage Write would be a good time to do it with no performance hit. If the data was flushed before L2Storage Write update then that data should still get added to the queue to L2Storage Write. Data Read or Written is still a candidate for L2Storage Write. You currently only add "read" data to L2 during L2Storage Write cycle. Even in my first question in this topic you say that Read data that is in L1 gets written L2 during L2Storage Write. So please do the same for Write data that is in L1. It will further improve the last bottleneck that PrimoCache doesn't really deal with. Now it will.