Looking to Boost USB Drive Write Performance

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
jwatson
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to Boost USB Drive Write Performance

Post by jwatson »

I'm evaluating the product to try and boost my write speeds to a USB drive we use to store month-end backups. It is a USB 3.0 drive that should get close to 5Gb/sec (640MB/sec). I'm getting very inconsistent speeds, 120-600MB/sec., and the Cache Hit Rate stays at 0%. Will/should this product help for what I'm trying to do?
Cache.JPG
Cache.JPG (63.51 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Looking to Boost USB Drive Write Performance

Post by Jaga »

Need to post screens of your Level-1 Cache options (the disk icon to the right), and your defer-write options (disk icon to it's right) so we can get a complete view of your settings.

Additionally, if your backups are significant in size they may easily overwhelm your 5GB cache size, which will then force it to start using urgent writes instead, further slowing down the system.

I'd drop defer write times to 5 or 10s, and get us those two other screenshots so we can help tweak further.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Looking to Boost USB Drive Write Performance

Post by Support »

Cache Hit Rate is to measure the read performance. It doesn't related to the write performance.
I agree with what Jaga suggested, 5~10s latency is better for your scenario. Otherwise you may see the statistics "Urgent Writes" which will drop the write performance.