PrimoCache - Need help with read speed

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
marksinister
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache - Need help with read speed

Post by marksinister »

I'm using a program called Daz3d. It uses a database to load models into the program. What I'm trying to do is speed up the loading of the models into the program from USB3 drives but it doesn't seem to want to save the most used files I load everyday?

Every time I load my frequently use models from one of the USB drives I get like a 1% cached read hit or lower from a total read of maybe 600MB. The drive I have the program running from which is a internal drive usually gets like 80 to 90% read, but every other drive included the USB3 drives get like low hits or if the hit rate is very high things still take forever to load.

My L: and M: drive are USB3 drives. My I: and E: are Internal HDD drives. Only my E: drive loads very fast which is where the program is located. All the other drives have Models assets or Working files for Daz3d or Other programs like Photoshop etc.

This is the USB3 L: Drive information
https://i.postimg.cc/2ywHftvT/Annotatio ... 163513.png
This is the internal HDD I: Drive information
https://i.postimg.cc/RZqgjX0Q/Annotatio ... 513jjh.png
This is the USB3 M: Drive information
https://i.postimg.cc/mZwVk0zy/Annotatio ... 63513h.png
This is the internal HDD E: Drive information
https://i.postimg.cc/RFvKzZR5/Annotatio ... 13fgch.png

This is my setting information
https://i.postimg.cc/3Rr4cb83/Annotatio ... 1123ch.png

As you can see only the Internal HDD E: drive is performing well. Every other drive seems to act like it's starting from scratch with all my files. I'm using a:
PNY CS900 120GB SSD - https://www.pny.com/ssd-cs900

I'm also using 1GB of RAM as Cache also.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know a lot of different 3D assets from the program and I know it would be slow loading those but the models I use on start up should load pretty quickly so what am I doing wrong?

Also I'm not sure but shouldn't the files I open be stored on the SSD why does it seem like the Cached files delete itself every time I restart my computer? I never see the total read go pass maybe 800MB? Shouldn't when I open assets from my USB or other drives the files will store itself on the SSD?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: PrimoCache - Need help with read speed

Post by Support »

Seems that L2 cache content get reset after restart. Make sure that:
1. Didn't install a cracked version of PrimoCache/PrimoRamdisk. It may leave something in your computer and cause this problem even you uninstall it.
2. Didn't have unexpected shutdowns.
3. Usb drives keep plugged-in and didn't unplugged/removed since computer boots up.
4. If you are using Windows 8 or a later version, you may try turning off Windows Fast Startup in the PrimoCache Options dialog.
marksinister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marksinister »

support wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:27 am Seems that L2 cache content get reset after restart. Make sure that:
1. Didn't install a cracked version of PrimoCache/PrimoRamdisk. It may leave something in your computer and cause this problem even you uninstall it.
2. Didn't have unexpected shutdowns.
3. Usb drives keep plugged-in and didn't unplugged/removed since computer boots up.
4. If you are using Windows 8 or a later version, you may try turning off Windows Fast Startup in the PrimoCache Options dialog.

Ok,
1 - This is a Paid version so it must not be that.
2 - I don't do that (often or have to).
3 - I keep the USB Drive on all the time so they are always ready when the computer turns on.
4 - This is the only thing it could be, because I never changed this.

I'll try number 4 to see if this work.

I'll be back with a report after I tried it.
marksinister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marksinister »

Oh crap one more thing? Could this also be the reason why some drives get and lose Prefetch after restart? I have all my drives set to have prefetch but often some have it set to inactive and some active. It changes all the time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

marksinister wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 pm Could this also be the reason why some drives get and lose Prefetch after restart? I have all my drives set to have prefetch but often some have it set to inactive and some active. It changes all the time.
I don't think so. PrimoCache prefetches for drives one by one within a cache task, and it will stop when L1 cache is full.
marksinister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marksinister »

Oh so the Prefetch is running out of storage? I have it set to 1GB or RAM for the 5 drives.

Anyway, I did number 4 and it still seems like it's not speeding up file access. I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. I use a program called Daz Studio. It's a 3d program that loads 3d asset files into the program to create 3d scenes. The program drive loads up super fast from the HDD using PrimoCache but once I'm into the program and I try to access the 3d assets I see the Total Reads and Cached Read moving up. Sometimes the asset drive (the USBs) have 90% hit but the loading of the files just don't seem any faster than if I paused it and try it without PrimoCache.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or does PrimoCache only work with programs loading up only but not programs working with external file assets such as from a Database?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

marksinister wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am Sometimes the asset drive (the USBs) have 90% hit but the loading of the files just don't seem any faster than if I paused it and try it without PrimoCache.
When you have loaded files, Windows also cached files in its free RAM. At that time, when you pause it and read files again, these files will be loaded from Windows cache.
You shall do the compare testing following steps below.
1) Disable PrimoCache cache.
2) Restart the computer.
3) Access the 3d assets.