Copying files from cached drive drops speed in half.

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
XOIIO
Level 1
Level 1

Copying files from cached drive drops speed in half.

Post by XOIIO »

Hi all, I'm testing out this software and ran into a couple issues, one I fixed with defer write but the other is so far unsolved. I have a video showing the problem but essentially I can copy to the cached drive with two full speed transfers no problem, and if I copy from the drive to one location, it has nearly full speed, but If I copy from the cached drive to two separate locations the transfer speed drops in half.

I'm using an NVME drive for the cache, so it's plenty capable of copying full speed either from two locations to the drive, or from the drive to two locations, but for some reason when using primocache the speed drops massively.

Skipping to 6:45 in this video shows this behavior. https://youtu.be/tzdoxTjN7V8
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Copying files from cached drive drops speed in half.

Post by Support »

Hi XOIIO,

Not sure if you received our replies by email before on this problem. We find that you set the L2 write cache space but without Defer-Write enabled. This will cause data writes to both L2 cache and target drive which might drop the performance. In the real scenario, if you don't use Defer-Write, just set 100% read which is default setting in the advanced L2 cache settings.
If you still have problems, you may try the 4KB block size.

PS. For your computer, I may try the following cache configuration in normal working scenario.
L1 cache 8~16GB, shared Read/Write
L2 cache MAX (465.41GB), 100% read
Block Size 64KB~128KB
Defer-Write: depends on if data on G drive is important or not.