Defered-write for gaming?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
AnDylishus
Level 1
Level 1

Defered-write for gaming?

Post by AnDylishus »

I was wondering if there was any advantage to enabling deferred write for gaming? I tried it for a little bit and noticed the that the only time it seems noticeable is when I'm downloading a game to my HDD while playing a game running off that same HDD. It is not very often that I'm downloading a game and playing at the same time, so I'm trying to weight the risk reward since I am not using a UPS backup at the moment.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Defered-write for gaming?

Post by Support »

Defer-Write is designed to improve disk writing performance. If games often download lots of data from the server, this will help.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I use it frequently for gaming (currently re-playing Fallout 4 with a heavy mod set), and it does make a noticeable improvement. But I don't recommend long deferred write times without a UPS on the system. If you don't have a UPS, don't set it over 5 seconds.
AnDylishus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AnDylishus »

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on getting a UPS next week when I get back. What deferred write settings would you suggest?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

If a partition contains only temporary, unimportant or reproducible data, you may not need a UPS for defer-write on this partition. Generally the defer-write latency is 10~60 seconds. If the cache space for defer-write is not too much, you may use a small latency. Otherwise, when cache is full of deferred write-data, PrimoCache will do a "urgent" flush to write deferred data to target disks. This urgent write will slow down the system performance.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

With a UPS on the machine using Primocache (and a large enough L1 task), I use a setting of 300s on deferred writes. But it's also a rock-solid machine (never has bad shutdowns or BSODs) so I know I can count on the L1 to flush properly.