This, or something similar has probably been asked a bunch! Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Kaytie
Level 1
Level 1

This, or something similar has probably been asked a bunch!

Post by Kaytie »

But I'm going to ask anyway! Because everyone has different systems and setups, right?!

My current disks are:
-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb (OS, Main Games)
-Intel 750 PCIe 400gb (Storage, Games)
-Samsung 840 Evo 500gb (Storage, Games)
-Some unknown(forgotten) 4tb Mechanical Drive that's super slow (Storage, Selfies, kid pics, etc, as you do! :? )

I don't intend on using L1 caches. I have 16 GB of ram and I'm bad at leaving tabs open and stuff in browsers and just assume I'll slow down my whole system trying to find a sweet spot. So, would the 970 Evo benefit from getting L2 Cached to the Intel 750 or Samsung 840? Or should I just leave it be?

Thanks for any advice!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: This, or something similar has probably been asked a bunch!

Post by Jaga »

The golden rule with Primocache: don't cache a SSD with a SSD. :)

The one exception is if you had a super-slow old-gen SSD that you wanted to cache (via L2) with something like a new NVMe. It's doubtful your motherboard has newer NVMe capacity, but if it does you might think about a single super-fast NVMe as a L2 cache against all of your drives.

However, having said all of that: if you setup a 2-4GB L1 (RAM) read-only cache task, you'd see some benefit with your most-used apps/games. You can probably afford to lose that small bit of RAM for what it gives you, but I'd apply it to your most-used volume (probably C:) only.
Kaytie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kaytie »

Thank you, Jaga! 8-)
Kaytie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kaytie »

Hi hi!

Following up! I managed to get some ram on sale and use an L1 Cache now. Here are my settings:
PrimoKT.png
PrimoKT.png (76.56 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Any info on changes for better results would be greatly appreciated! My drives are still the same as listed above in the OP and I mostly play World of Warcraft if that helps.

Have a fantastic weekend!
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

The config looks good. Check your cache hit rate while being in the game. I have similar settings with 32 GB total RAM and 12 GB cache. While playing Halo games I am getting around 70% hit rate. I guess this is on the top (or rather bottom) of the Windows file cache and the total percentage of content loaded from RAM is even bigger.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Yep, looks like a much better hardware config for optimum performance with that extra RAM. The only way to fill up the cache is to repeatedly load/play the game. Over time your hitrate will increase as data from the game is re-read as needed, and it's performance will improve. Provided you have low-latency network communications with the server you are on, the drive will help with things like area loading and eliminating pop-in/jitter.

As a side-note.. I use a utility that does checksum computations on folders (and subfolders) which seems to help reinforce those files with the cache. You can try it yourself - there are free checksum tools available on the web.