Ramdisk with PrimoCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Saud
Level 1
Level 1

Ramdisk with PrimoCache

Post by Saud »

I have a rather unique usage case and am wondering about adding a cache to my Ramdisk. I use a small I/O disk to host my audio production software on my machine (Threadripper, 64 GB RAM), so no complaints about performance. But I'm running a large number of audio files through it (hosted on a regular SSD), often up to 30 GB or more in total, which are usually playing in loops of anywhere from a few seconds to a minute so I can work on the project. Would adding PrimoCache help in this situation? My thinking is that the cache would hold the looped audio files allowing for more responsive playback, since right now they're just being accessed on a continuous basis from the SSD (or maybe they're already being held in RAM?).

There's an older thread on a similar topic but it's not really the same usage case. And yes, obviously the best way to find out would be to try it, unfortunately my PrimoCache trial expired last fall before I thought to try this :) Thanks for any help, I'm not sure I understand how "read" in this context actually works for the cache.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ramdisk with PrimoCache

Post by Support »

I think in this case, Ramdisk would work better than caching if you have enough RAM to store your audio files. So far PrimoCache doesn't support Read-ahead feature and it only caches data that has been read. I'm not sure if PrimoCache can help in this case, but we can extend your trial if you would like to give it a try.
Saud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Saud »

Thank you, let me know what to do to extend the trial, even a few days for testing would be fine.

I think I've been approaching this in a fundamentally wrong way, using a fairly small Ramdisk for program files only and keeping the large folder of audio files separately in an SSD. Mainly I started out configuring it that way because I had a much smaller amount of RAM, but maybe I should be putting the audio files right into a mammoth Ramdisk (say 32GB). Does that make more sense? In which case PrimoCache probably won't help..
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I have sent you an email including new trial code. Please check.