Unable to create L2 storage

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
animus12
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to create L2 storage

Post by animus12 »

Whenever I attempt to create a L2 storage volume, I get an error code. The specific code seems to depend on how the target volume is configured.

Details:
OS - Win10 Home 64-bit build: 18363.720
32GB ram
AMD Ryzen 9 35950x
All drivers /windows updates up to date
Primocache version: 3.2.0 registered
All Windows security/antivirus turned off and exceptions made for rxfcv.sys and rxbsknl.sys.

For all of the below options, the entire drive is formatted as a simple volume using the default sector size.
If the target drive is configured as MBR using NTFS, the error code I get when clicking format is 0x00001126. When attempting this operation, the drive label is removed but the format never completes. Attempting to create an L2 storage volume against this (probably corrupted) partition nets me a 0x00000057 error.

If is configure the drive as MBR using exFat, the error is 0x00000001. Again the drive label is removed, but the conversion doesn't complete.

If the drive is configured using GPT, I get a 0x00000000 error no matter how the drive is formatted.

In all cases, I have rebooted between formatting the drive/volume and attempting to create an L2 storage volume. I have reinstalled Primocache multiple times and run the UI as administrator, all with the same results.

This has to be something I am doing wrong, but I cannot figure it out.
Please help!

Thanks.
animus12
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to create L2 storage

Post by animus12 »

I forgot to mention the details of the actual drive I am trying to use as L2.
Sabrent Rocket 256GB NVme.

My bad.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Could you try to clean the Sabrent Rocket 256GB NVme drive using the diskpart tool? Please see the following link for how to use diskpart to clean a disk.
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how- ... -005929en/
Please verify that correct disk is selected before clean.
After the drive is cleaned, open the Windows disk management, and then a dialog box shall pop up to ask for initialize the drive. initialize it as a MBR basic drive. Then create a simple raw partition (without the need of formatting the partition as a certain file system). Now try to convert this partition as level-2 cache storage volume in PrimoCache and see if it works or not.
Thanks.
animus12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by animus12 »

PrimocacheFormatError.PNG
PrimocacheFormatError.PNG (56.01 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Unfortunately, that did not work. I followed your instructions exactly, but still received a 0x00000057 error.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the testing. We will send you a debug version to find where the problem occurs.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@animus12, we have sent you an email including the debug version. Please check.
Thank you.