L2 Cache, write or read?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
ShiftyD
Level 1
Level 1

L2 Cache, write or read?

Post by ShiftyD »

Hi, I've recently started using the Primocache software(plan on purchasing at end of my trial), and have noticed a nice increase in hdd performance. I had it setup to use 15gb of 32gb installed ram, and just added an ssd for L2 cache. My question, is, how much should I dedicate to read or write? The purpose of the PC it is installed is primarily gaming. I haven't been able to find any documentation on how I should setup the L2 cache. Thanks.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L2 Cache, write or read?

Post by Jaga »

I don't usually separate read/write on a large (20GB) L1 cache, and I use my workstation for pretty much everything day-to-day: email, browsing, gaming, and other activities. I think it is more useful when you're writing very large files, or when you have a much smaller cache to work with (and so your writes dominate the smaller cache size). In your case, I think leaving it at shared on the L1 is probably the best option.

As for the L2 - do you ever plan on writing larger (>10GB) files to the cached drive? If so, you might benefit by segmenting the L2 by as much as 20% write, 80% read. It also depends on the size of the L2 you set up - if it is smaller than 64GB the 20% write might not be enough space for larger write operations.

Truthfully however, with 15GB of L1 and 128GB+ (?) of L2, you probably don't stand to gain a lot by segmenting reads/writes into their own space. Primocache does a pretty good job all on it's own managing what goes where and when. The only edge cases are (for example), encoding very large video files which are written sequentially all at once.
ShiftyD
Level 1
Level 1

Re: L2 Cache, write or read?

Post by ShiftyD »

L1 unsegmented, L2 80 read 20 write? Those are the settings I'm currently using. I will leave them like that then. Thanks for answering my question!