Question about TRIM and whole cached SSD's

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
LawrenceLee
Level 3
Level 3

Question about TRIM and whole cached SSD's

Post by LawrenceLee »

Support,

I am using my 500 GB MX500 as a cache drive. I have set aside 50 GB as unallocated for TRIM space. Since there are no active partitions on the drive does the MX 500 automatically use this unallocated space without the intervention of Windows? Windows does not see the drive since it is not assigned a drive letter it does not show up in the optimize drives tool for TRIM'ing.

Does PrimoCache handle the TRIM function itself, or is this something that the Crucial drive will do automatically? Does a Samsung?

Kind of an important question to understand.
cichy45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Question about TRIM and whole cached SSD's

Post by cichy45 »

PrimoCache does not currently support TRIM, so you are left with SSD own Garbage Collector. However, TRIM should be supported in future releases of PrimoCache as support said in some other threat.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Question about TRIM and whole cached SSD's

Post by Support »

TRIM commands go through PrimoCache and the SSD. PirmoCache handles TRIM commands to do related operations for the cache. The SSD also handles TRIM commands to do its own tasks such as garbage collecting.
LawrenceLee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:11 pm Since there are no active partitions on the drive does the MX 500 automatically use this unallocated space without the intervention of Windows? Windows does not see the drive since it is not assigned a drive letter it does not show up in the optimize drives tool for TRIM'ing.
This depends on how the SSD firmware process it. Each different brand SDD might have different ways. But one thing can be confirmed is that this is controlled by SSD hardware itself, without the intervention of Windows.